Website Missouri Historical Society
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
The Missouri Historical Society commits to a process of listening attentively to one another and leveraging best practices and resources across our organization to promote a culture of inclusion where individuals from all racial and ethnic identities; ages; nationalities; social and economic statuses; sexual orientations; gender identities/expressions; religious, political, and ideological perspectives; and abilities are able to be engaged, feel valued, and thrive. click here for the full Commitment to Racial Equity
The Exhibits Registrar is responsible for the installation of artifacts selected for exhibits and acts as the museum collections representative to the exhibits production team of the Missouri Historical Society. The Exhibits Registrar regularly attends exhibition production meetings and communicates collections preservation needs to exhibit designers and production staff. The Exhibits Registrar coordinates, schedules, and transports artifacts between the Missouri Historical Society entities and MHS storage facilities. The Exhibits Registrar will be responsible for managing the exhibition activity in the Mimsy XG collections management database and tracking all artifact use and movement with it. Further responsibilities include preparing conditions reports, maintaining loan and rotation records, tracking location changes, and ensuring that professional packing, shipping, handling, and storage methods are followed according to best practices.
The Exhibits Registrar works with a staff of professional curators, librarians, archivists, collections managers, registrars, exhibit designers, preparators and conservators as part of the exhibition team. The Exhibits Registrar should be familiar with all aspects of museum collection management methodologies and processes, according to national professional standards and best practices. The Exhibit Registrar also manages all incoming loans to the Missouri Historical Society including long term loans for exhibitions.
- Manage exhibition activity in the Mimsy XG database, entering information required by curators, conservators, lenders, and others involved for artifacts slated for exhibition
- Update object locations and maintain records of rotations throughout the run of the exhibit
- Track loans through the final dispersal of the exhibit; insure the safe return of all objects to owners
- Exhibit Planning
- Coordinate with curators, collections management, photography and conservation to ensure objects slated for exhibit have been evaluated and photographed before transportation and installation. Ensure this work is done in conjunction with the exhibition production schedule
Installation and De-Installation – Coordinate exhibition production schedules of artifacts, including but not limited to:
- Making all travel and shipping arrangements for MHS objects and loans
- Scheduling and managing installation and de-installation of objects:Unpack, perform condition reports, and install all objects in exhibit galleries. Supervise object handling by non-collections staff.
- Coordinate with other members of the exhibit team to ensure that registration procedures are completed within the deadlines of the total installation schedule.
- Tracking exhibit budgets as it pertains to objects and supplies for object transportation
- Negotiate and obtain loan agreements with institutional and private lenders
- Gather correct information about each object that will be needed for any purpose associated with an exhibition
- Obtain information from lenders including conservation and packing costs, loan fees, credit line requirements, mounting or framing requirements, environmental requirements, insurance values and conditions, and any other lender-specific conditions
- Ensure all requirements of lenders are met in regards to insurance, permits, security, display parameters, and object handling
- Gallery Monitoring and Maintenance
- Performing weekly gallery walkthroughs, as well as, scheduling and supervising a team of interdepartmental staff who perform daily security walkthroughs to check for security, temperature and humidity, pest, or any other concerns. The Exhibits Registrar is responsible for performing gallery cleaning and maintenance.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in History, Museum Studies, or relevant field, M.A.preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience in museum collections or registration with proven experience in exhibit installation
- Experience managing incoming loans
- Ability to drive a cargo van or large utility truck; obtain a Missouri driver’s license; and maintain a clean driving record, a must
- Proficient in artifact handling with the dexterity to handle fragile artifacts safely; ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Experience operating power tools and operating lift assist equipment.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; advanced proficiency in collections management software, preferably Mimsy XG
- Must have a thorough understanding of collections registration principles and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Ability to assist in planning production schedule and proven record in adhering to project schedules and budgets
Deadline to Apply: Position open until filled.
*External job boards: Please click this link, to apply.
Please upload resume and cover letter when applying.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit mohistory.aaimtrack.com.