Position Title: Associate Director of Experience Design
Reporting Division: Visitor Experience
Reporting Department: Experience Design
Reporting Supervisor: VP – Visitor Experience
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Organizational Function: Senior Manager
Oversee the creative design and physical build of experiences across the 40 acre campus, including exhibits and gardens. Manage the maintenance of technical elements used in delivering experiences including audio visual, lighting, and built environments. Lead the experience design team to align with the Minnetrista Philosophy of Visitor Experience and institutional interpretive plan.
- Have Bachelor’s degree in design, museum studies, technical theater or related field; 5-8 years in exhibit or technical theater production and project management. Horticulture and gardening knowledge and design experience is a plus; museum experience preferred.
- Proficient with technology including Microsoft Office and other related software. Able to learn new software as necessary. Skill with design software including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Google Sketchup, and/or Arc GIS is preferred.
- Possess strong multitasking, organizational, and project management skills; ability to work individually and collaboratively with a high degree of attention to detail and ability to communicate ideas effectively both verbally and visually.
- Demonstrate experience in developing creative designs that express ideas through built or curated environments.
- Show skill with leading a team through the design and build phase of a project.
- Use basic woodshop tools, theatrical lighting, and AV equipment. Experience in a fabrication shop is a plus.
- Experience in and knowledge of handling museum collections objects is preferred.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. The incumbent ensures effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration, and volunteers. The individual demonstrates maturity, sound judgment, positive attitude, and works collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all position responsibilities include the following three performance expectations & priorities:
- Achieve the organization’s purpose by demonstrating Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals, and strategies daily.
- Help others achieve the organization’s purpose through collaboration and teamwork.
- Carry out job function through completing the following essential duties directly or through subordinate personnel.
- Lead the Experience Design department towards a cohesive designed experience across all 40 acres in both galleries and gardens; direct, manage and evaluate experience design team.
- Lead exhibit design team and work with the associate director of curation and exhibition to translate exhibit storylines into effective creative designs for both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Lead garden design team and work with Horticulture staff to develop design and management plans to translate site stories into garden experiences.
- Prepare and manage project, event, garden and exhibit work schedules and timelines, including the build, installation and deinstallation of in-house exhibits and load in and load out of rental exhibits, in coordination with the associate director of curation and exhibition. Collaborate with volunteers and additional departments to provide appropriate staffing.
- Coordinate with collections & storytelling department on the installation and deinstallation of artifacts; assist as needed.
- Collaborate with the theatre and events manager to develop, design and implement technical and horticulture plans for Signature Events.
- Work with the graphic designer to oversee design and production of exhibit labels and graphics.
- Develop and manage the budget for fabrication and horticulture with VP and managers; collaborate with other departments in the development of project, event, and exhibit build budgets.
- Maintain a safe work environment for volunteers and staff including training and enforcement of all relevant OSHA safety standards.
- Collaborate with the campus operations department to ensure the safety and maintenance of all built environments.
- Produce and maintain audio and video components for theater and exhibits.
- Maintain gallery and theater lighting in coordination with the collections department and campus operations department.
- Perform all other duties required.
Work is both indoors and outdoors. Travel required between buildings in all weather conditions. Work schedule flexibility is critical; will need to work some evenings and weekends and be able to move about the entire Minnetrista 40-acre campus. Must be able to work in an office environment but primarily in various other spaces and storage areas. May involve standing on concrete floors for long periods of time, exposure to hazards and moderate-to-high noise levels. Must be able to climb, stretch, reach overhead, and lift up to 40 lbs. A valid driver’s license is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Minnetrista values diversity and inclusivity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary range is $45,000 to $52,000, based on experience.
To apply for this job please visit www.minnetrista.net.