Website Minnesota Historical Society
HISTORY MUSEUM & LIBRARY
JOB TITLE: #1446 Guest Services Assistant II
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center 345 Kellogg Blvd. W St. Paul, MN 55102
Minnesota State Capitol – 75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, St Paul MN 55155
SALARY: $15.57 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 1040 annual hours) position.
An average of 20 hours per week based on site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites & Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 58L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Guest Services Manager III
POSTING DATE: June 2, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: June 16, 2021
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to sell admission tickets to the History Center Museum and
Minnesota State Capitol, sell memberships to the Minnesota Historical Society, greet and orient guests,
provide customer service to a wide array of visitors, and lend administrative support.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Sell admissions and public program tickets as well as promote MNHS
memberships in person and by phone; 2) Operate multiple phone lines as a primary resource for general
MNHS phone calls; 3) Greet and welcome guests to the History Center and MN State Capitol; 4) Assist
with day-to-day operations as needed; 5) Assist with sales reporting, refunds, special programs, bank
deposits and other administrative ticketing functions; 6) Provide support for administration, museum
operations and other departments; and 7) Assist in store purchases and retail operations.
● Strong oral communication skills, ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse public in a friendly and open manner.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Strong personal computer skills including intermediate skills with Microsoft Office and with
● Ability to complete record keeping and a variety of reports, including accounting and math skills.
● Familiarity with technology, particularly admissions or retail software.
● Ability to work a varied and flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
● Ability to lift 25 pounds.
● Willingness and availability to work a varied schedule that may include shifts on Monday – Friday,
Tuesday nights until 8pm, weekends, and holidays.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Previous experience mentoring, coaching, training and providing work direction for staff or volunteers.
● Experience with Shopify and/or Tessitura software.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Knowledge of Minnesota History programs and services.
● Ability to troubleshoot software, hardware and point-of-sale issues.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.