Website Minnesota Historical Society
#digitization #newspapers #museum
JOB TITLE: #1715 Digitization Technician, Collections
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $18.99 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, (approximately 2,088 annual hours) project position through June 30, 2023. The position will be extended beyond the end date if funding is available.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Library & Archives
CLASSIFICATION: 63M Technical
HIRING MANAGER: Digitization Supervisor
POSTING DATE: December 7, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: The position exists to perform digitization of MNHS collections, including Manuscript, Government records, Library, Art, and 3D (excluding newspapers and serials) for public online access, preservation, and patron/service order fulfillment.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Digitize selected MNHS collections, including Manuscript, Government records, Library, Art, and 3D (excluding newspapers and serials); 2) Process files and materials to provide access to digitized materials; and 3) Assist with administrative tasks related to digitization program.
● High school degree or equivalent, plus two years digitization experience.
● Hands-on experience with digital imaging, scanners, related procedures/techniques, standards, and best practices.
● Demonstrated competency with spreadsheets, Adobe Acrobat Pro, as well as G Suite.
● Physical ability to regularly lift, maneuver, and carry storage containers weighing 40 pounds as well as oversize materials.
● Physical tolerance to dust and inactive mold spores.
● Ability to stand for a minimum of two hours at a time.
● Ability to sit, kneel, crouch, reach, bend, and to push loaded carts.
● Ability to use a keyboard and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills to establish positive relations with other staff and organizations.
● Flexibility and willingness to shift priorities according to current needs.
● Ability to meet challenging deadlines and work within complex workflows while carefully handling unique, old, and fragile materials.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately and to ask questions as appropriate.
● Experience with a variety of digitization equipment such as flat-bed, sheet-feed, camera based, large-format, overhead, and microfilm scanners.
● Experience with digitization software.
● Experience in digitization quality control procedures.
● Experience recording and tracking productivity and progress.
● Hands-on experience with calibration of scanning equipment to ensure capture of best images, including willingness to troubleshoot as necessary.
● Knowledge and understanding of sustainable processing practices and collection-level digitization strategies.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.