Website Minnesota Historical Society
#museum #library #history #customer service
JOB TITLE: #1682 Guest Services Assistant II
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $16.69 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 1,560 annual hours) position. An average of 30 hours per week based on site needs. Must be able to work a varied schedule that may include shifts on Wednesdays – Sundays, occasional Mondays and Tuesdays, holidays, and evenings.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites & Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 58L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Guest Services & Retail Manager
POSTING DATE: September 21, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled. *Priority will be given to applications received before October 9, 2022
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to sell admission tickets to the History Center Museum, assist with the retail operations in the Minnesota History Center Stores, sell memberships to the Minnesota Historical Society, greet and orient guests, provide customer service to a wide array of visitors, and lend administrative support.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Sell admissions, public program tickets, and retail products as well as promote MNHS memberships in person and by phone; 2) Operate multiple phone lines as a primary resource for general MNHS phone calls; 3) Greet and welcome guests to the History Center and Stores; 4) Assist with day-to-day operations as needed; 5) Assist with sales reporting, refunds, special programs, bank deposits and other administrative ticketing functions; and 6) Provide support for administration, museum operations and other departments.
● Strong oral communication skills, ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse public in a friendly and open manner.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Strong personal computer skills including intermediate skills with Microsoft Office and with GOOGLE suite.
● Ability to complete record keeping and a variety of reports, including accounting and math skills.
● Familiarity with technology, particularly admissions or retail software.
● Ability to lift 25 pounds.
● Willingness and availability to work a varied schedule that may include shifts on Wednesdays through Sundays, holidays, and occasional Mondays and Tuesdays, and evenings.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Previous experience mentoring, coaching, training and providing work direction for staff or volunteers.
● Experience with Shopify and/or Tessitura software.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Knowledge of Minnesota Historical Society programs and services.
● Ability to troubleshoot software, hardware and point-of-sale issues.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.