Website Milwaukee County Historical Society
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS AND ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
The Milwaukee County Historical Society seeks a Community Programs and Engagement Manager responsible for developing and managing an annual program of public programs related to the museum’s collections, exhibitions, and historic sites. This role is responsible for ensuring that programs are of a high standard, align with the organization’s mission and strategic objectives, and most importantly, serve and expand the MCHS audience.
Success in this position means that programs are drawing in target audiences who may not otherwise attend the Museum, and the Society is on track each year to achieve the Museum’s annual visitation goals. The Museum’s public program offerings include school education programs, historic site tours, lectures and presentations, exhibition openings, trivia, and various other events.
An ideal candidate is a people person who is curious and excited to share the Milwaukee County Historical Society’s mission. The ability for the Manager to easily collaborate, be entrepreneurial in identifying opportunities, and to think strategically is essential.
- Develop and implement an annual plan for the delivery of public programs that help to build and reach audiences throughout the community. Expanding the programs outside the building’s walls to reached previously untapped groups is paramount.
- Create opportunities to develop programs for specific audiences including students, teachers, community groups, businesses, and professional organizations.
- Identify opportunities to build strategic partnerships within the community; develop and manage those relationships.
- Oversee the oral history program including scheduling, conducting, and processing oral history interviews.
- Collaborate with colleagues to promote programs, measure success, and share outcomes with the community. Manage social media campaigns related to programs, exhibits, and other events.
- Contribute to the preparation of Museum fundraising programs such as sponsorships, grants, and other opportunities.
- Responsible for managing department activities within a budget and appropriate reporting/involvement in grants, sponsorship, or other fundraising activities.
- At least three years of experience in planning and delivering public programs, a plus if experience is in museums or cultural attractions.
- Knowledge of community organizations that have collaboration potential and ability to initiate and build partnerships within the community.
- Experience planning, managing, and overseeing multiple projects, meeting deadlines, and prioritizing work.
- Basic graphic design skills with programs such as Canva and Publisher.
- Experience managing social media campaigns.
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity, and sound judgment in the workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively and maintain positive working relationships.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with colleagues, patrons, and in public speaking.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in planning and delivering public programs, a plus if experience is in museums or attractions.
- Management experience; leading others in meeting strategic objectives and reaching goals.
- Experienced programs professional with evidence of success in creating programs, building audiences, and community collaboration.
- Experience conducting and processing oral histories.
SCHEDULE: Schedule is usually Mon-Fri., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but flexibility is important as some events will take place on evenings and weekends.
BENEFITS: Paid Time Off, IRA matching contribution, subsidized health insurance, short-term disability coverage, and discounted parking.
PAY RANGE: $45,000 – $50,000
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please send cover letter and resume to Ben Barbera, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com