The McLean County Museum of History in Bloomington, Illinois is hiring a part-time exhibit assistant to participate in all aspects of the planning, research/development, installation, and maintenance of its award-winning exhibits. The individual hired will assist the curator to conceive and develop exhibit concepts and themes, conduct research, write interpretive labels, identify and pull artifacts, build artifact mounts, install exhibit furnishings and art, and the maintenance of existing exhibits. The assistant will also participate in exhibit planning and committee meetings and work with guest curators.
– BA in History, Museum Studies, or related field
– Knowledge of exhibit planning, development, and installation processes
– Knowledge of museum best practices for both exhibits and collections
– Knowledge of historical research techniques and resources
– Strong computer skills: expert facility with MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience InDesign, Quark Xpress, and/or Photoshop a plus
– Experience with museum collection databases, preferably PastPerfect
– Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and to meet deadlines
– Ability to lift 40 lbs.
– Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team
– Ability to prioritize and manage tasks
– Meticulous work habits and attention to detail; consistency in procedures and quality of effort in all areas of work
– Professional demeanor
This is a part-time contract position (12 months) for 20-25 hours per week and will pay $15-$20 per hour depending on qualifications and experience. The position may be extended and/or broadened at a later date to full-time, dependent on funding.
Founded in 1892 the McLean County Museum of History, located in the former county courthouse in historic Downtown Bloomington, IL, is one of America’s premier county historical museums. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums since 1984, the Museum’s mission is rooted in education and has a reputation for delivering high-quality, award-winning exhibits and programs to our growing, diverse community.
Application deadline: November 13, 2022
Send a resume, cover letter, and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com
To learn more about the McLean County Museum of History visit: mchistory.org
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org