Website Kidzeum of Health & Science
Job Opening: Assistant Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Springfield, IL
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start date: April 15, 2021
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a wonderful start-up family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL, whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Kidzeum has been closed to the public due to the pandemic but has been serving the public in other ways. Plans are being developed to reopen later this year.
Position Description: The successful candidate for this post will be capable of managing and improving all aspects of the Museum’s operations while also providing an important deputy role to the Executive Director. S/he supports the Executive Director in efforts to ensure long-term financial stability, expand creative capacity, and enhance overall institutional reputation.
Kidzeum is seeking candidates who have experience in the field of not-for-profit management, are entrepreneurial, familiar with accounting, and have skills to be able to contribute to marketing, development, visitor services, exhibitions and program management activities. The Assistant Director will work closely with the Executive Director to set priorities and to ensure their successful fulfillment.
This individual needs to be comfortable addressing groups and adept at interacting with a broad cross-section of the Museum’s wider constituency, including Museum members, the Board of Directors, Museum visitors, community partners, and current and prospective donors. In case of the absence of the Executive Director, this individual is often charged with day-to-day leadership decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Among the duties of the Assistant Director are:
- Provide for continuing operations of the Museum by assisting with the maintenance of all financial records and accounting data.
- Help coordinate the preparation and conduct of the annual audit with our auditors.
Assist the Executive Director in preparing financial statements for the Board of Directors, grant applications, and others.
- Contribute to efforts to increase visitor numbers to the Museum especially paid visitors, and to assist and participate in the Museum’s efforts to market its activities more widely.
- Assist the Executive Director in supervising patron services efforts.
- Create staff schedules on a monthly basis.
- Help ensure the successful execution of programs, exhibitions, and events by coordinating staff efforts and spearheading logistics.
- Be involved in the cultivation and solicitation of donors
- Clerical work/filing/record maintenance.
- Ensure the efficient use and scheduling of all Museum facilities by serving as the single point of contact for scheduling events; by maintaining an up-to-date calendar of events; by determining (in conjunction with the Executive Director) appropriate use of Museum spaces; by scheduling the supervision or participation of these events by appropriate Museum staff; and by planning and executing special events, facility rentals, and functions in support of the Museum.
- To monitor emerging trends and best practices in the field of museum management.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree required. Accounting/ Business Management/ Museum Studies or related field preferred. A minimum of two years in positions of progressive responsibility in office management, business management, not-for-profit management or Museum management is desired.
Candidate must have the skills to perform the following:
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of staff
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff
- Set goals and provide leadership in implementing and achieving those goals
- Help manage a 7-day-a-week operation
- Analyze and assess programs, policies, and operational needs and work with the Executive Director to make appropriate adjustments
- Help prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports
- Help prepare and administer budgets
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Have the ability to accurately track and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Have the ability to work on long-term and short-term projects simultaneously
- Be able to work successfully on a team, but also to work independently
- Be committed to the mission of Kidzeum and be willing and able to articulate the mission internally and externally. Help lead others in the efforts to fulfill that mission
- Have the ability to think about problems and be creative in thinking about solutions as well as resolute in their implementation
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements include working for extended amounts of time at a computer. This position may also require extended periods spent standing and walking. Some time may be spent stooping, kneeling, bending, squatting/crouching, crawling/kneeling, pushing/pulling, and reaching above the shoulders and lifting of up to 50 lbs. Occasionally lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as furniture, file cabinets, equipment, boxes, etc. may be required. Work will require some weekends and/or evenings.
Salary: $50,000 – $60,000; Salary commensurate with experience
Application Process: Please send your resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) references to: Leah Wilson, interim executive director: email@example.com. Electronic applications only. Position is open until filled.
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, we strive to make the Kidzeum community – staff, visitor base, programs, and exhibitions – representative of the diversity of the city of Springfield and Central Illinois, and to carry forth the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com