Website Illinois State Museum
Associate Director of Education (Museum Section Head II)
Location: Springfield, IL
Job Requisition ID: 30243
Agency: Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Illinois State Museum
Closing Date: 2/5/2024
Salary: $5,500 – $7,000 per month
Job Type: Salaried, full time
Number of Vacancies: 1
Plan/BU: Merit Comp (non-code)
Please attach a detailed Resume / Curriculum Vitae to the MY DOCUMENTS section of your application. You will not be considered for the positions if you attach a CMS100, CMS100b or any other document that is not a resume or CV.
All applicants must apply electronically at Illinois.jobs2web.com
Posting Identification Number: 12-00-34530
Applications submitted via email or any paper manner (mail, fax, hand delivery) will not be considered.
The Illinois State Museum (ISM) seeks an experienced, energetic, creative, collaborative, and organized individual for its Associate Director of Education (AD-Ed) position. The AD-Ed reports to the ISM Director of Interpretation, supervises a team of Museum Educators, and manages the education-related programs and services of the ISM.
This position works largely at their own discretion to conceptualize, develop, coordinate, promote, deliver, and evaluate school and public educational programming and outreach that complement and enhance the Museum’s exhibitions and research collections; and supports the ISM’s mission and strategic goals. The AD-Ed provides leadership, guidance, and support to staff in a manner that promotes collaboration, open communication, creative problem-solving and professional development. They also work closely with the Museum’s Visitor Services Manager and Operations Manager to ensure the highest level of visitor enjoyment, safety, and experience. Museum Section Head 2-level staff have administrative duties and responsibilities for their section.
Museum staff are impelled to engage in a regular cycle of professional development to maintain competence and currency in their areas of expertise or responsibility; participate and/or have a leadership role in relevant professional organizations and bring state, national, and/or international recognition to the Museum. This position is expected to be able to occasionally travel locally, regionally, or statewide to participate in professional development, outreach events, and for general operational needs of their work site. They may be requested to consult, advise, or present information to share their knowledge and experience with museum professionals, students, and the public.
Each staff member is expected to create work that is visible to the residents of Illinois; work in a team environment across geographic locations and disciplines; perform at a level that reflects national standards and best practices of an accredited museum; follow all relevant state and federal laws; and abide by professional museum ethics. Staff are encouraged to promote the activities of the Illinois State Museum Society (a not-for-profit membership organization chartered independently but recognized in the state statutes to support the research and educational programs of the Illinois State Museum).
1. The AD-Ed works largely at their own discretion to conceptualize, develop, coordinate, promote, deliver, and evaluate school and public educational programming and outreach that complement and enhance the Museum’s exhibitions, research collections, and supports the ISM’s mission and strategic goals/plan.
2. Utilizes applicable knowledge of practices and policies in PreK-12 informal and formal education, as well as PreK-12 learning standards, the AD-Ed supervises a team of Museum Educators and manages the education-related programs and services of the ISM.
3. The AD-Ed is responsible for administrative duties for the Museum’s Education section.
4. The AD-Ed collaborates across all Museum departments and sections to envision, develop, and execute dynamic programming serving the Museum’s varied constituents.
5. The AD-Ed serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the area of museum education or informal learning.
6. The AD-Ed will assist in the creation of promotional content related to educational programming.
7. Work collaboratively with the Museum’s Visitor Services Manager to ensure the highest level of visitor enjoyment, safety, and experience.
8. Other duties as assigned which are in the scope of work outlined above.
1. It is a requirement of this position that you have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in an ISM-related discipline (education, art, cultural history, anthropology, natural sciences) and you have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in relevant positions at a museum or similar institution (cultural centers, museums and/or historic sites) with a record of increasing professional responsibility and measurable accomplishments.
2. 20 years’ experience in relevant positions at a museum or similar institution (cultural centers, museums and/or historic sites) with a record of increasing professional responsibility and measurable accomplishments.
3. It is a requirement of this position that you have a demonstrated record (extensive knowledge level of experience) in attracting and/or administering program funds. Extensive knowledge is defined as having a mature/advanced level of knowledge such as that acquired through multiple years of work experience related to this experience.
4. It is a requirement of this position that you must have a demonstrated record (extensive knowledge level of experience) in supervising and evaluating performance of subordinates. Extensive knowledge is defined as having a mature/advanced level of knowledge such as that acquired through multiple years of work experience related to this experience.
1. It is preferred that the candidate have a master’s degree in a relevant discipline for the specific position, such as, but not limited to Education, Teaching, Curriculum & Instruction, Museum Education, Museum Studies, or a related field; along with a minimum 10 years’ experience in relevant positions at a museum or similar institution (cultural centers, museums and/or historic sites) with a record of increasing professional responsibility and measurable accomplishments.
2. It is preferred that the candidate have an elementary knowledge level of museum disciplines (art, history, anthropology, and natural sciences). Elementary knowledge is defined as having a beginner/minimal level of knowledge of these subjects.
3. It is preferred that the candidate have specialized knowledge and skills that relate to experience with developing and implementing educational programming for a wide range of audiences in a museum or comparable setting (at an extensive knowledge level of experience). Extensive knowledge is defined as having a mature/advanced level of knowledge such as that acquired through multiple years of work experience related to this experience.
4. It is preferred that the candidate has a strong record of accomplishments that either elevated the stature of your institution, attracted new resources, or expanded the knowledge base in a field of study.
5. It is preferred that the candidate has participated in and/or held leadership roles in professional societies.
All applicants must be able to meet the following Conditions of Employment, with or without reasonable accommodation, to be considered for this position:
1. Must pass background check.
2. Must have a valid driver’s license.
3. Candidates will be required to submit a digital Educator Portfolio prior to the interview stage.
Charged with preserving, protecting, and promoting Illinois’ natural resources, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) employees oversee water, wildlife, wetlands and oil wells, parks, historic sites – and everything in between. Employment opportunities vary greatly, often providing employees the chance to work indoors and out in a dynamic yet relaxed environment. Working for the State of Illinois, IDNR employees receive excellent benefits, including health, vision and dental insurance; a retirement plan and deferred compensation options; state holidays and other time off; as well as pre-tax benefit programs; flexible/remote work schedules may be available for certain positions.
The State Museum (ISM) is a division of IDNR and is a system of museums and galleries serving the people of Illinois. The mission of ISM (accredited by the American Alliance of Museums) is to promote discovery, lifelong learning, and stewardship of the natural and cultural heritage of Illinois. It strives to integrate its original research and diverse collections to advance knowledge and create thought-provoking exhibitions and educational programs and resources. The Illinois State Museum is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that is mindful of community stories and lived experiences.
Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm, due to project deadlines or scheduled public programs and events, some evening or weekend hours may be required.
Work Location: IL State Museum, 502 S. Spring St Springfield, IL 62704
IDNR Human Resources
Phone #: 217-785-5387
Use the “Apply” button at the top right or bottom right of this posting to begin the application process.
If you are not already signed in, you will be prompted to do so.
State employees should sign into the career portal for State of Illinois employees – a link is available at the top left of the Illinois.jobs2web.com homepage in the blue ribbon.
Non-State employees should log in on the using the “View Profile” link in the top right of the Illinois.jobs2web.com homepage in the blue ribbon. If you have never before signed in, you will be prompted to create an account.
If you have questions about how to apply, please see the following resources:
State employees: Log in to the career portal for State employees and review the Internal Candidate Application Job Aid
Non-State employees: on Illinois.jobs2web.com – click “Application Procedures” in the footer of every page of the website.
The main form of communication will be through email. Please check your “junk mail”, “spam”, or “other” folder for communication(s) regarding any submitted application(s). You may receive emails from the following addresses:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org