Website Grand Rapids Public Museum
FLSA Status: Salary – Exempt
Compensation: $40,000 – $45,000
The Grand Rapids Public Museum is the oldest and second largest museum in the state of Michigan. We are a place of never-ending learning and discovery, with programs and exhibits focusing on history, science, and culture. The employee culture of the GRPM is one of teamwork, excitement, and learning. As an integral part of the West Michigan community, the Museum is open daily to visitors, and hosts after-hours public events and programs, as well as private events and weddings. The entire GRPM team works to create positive visitor experiences through engaging exhibits and programs, and a safe, clean, welcoming space.
We are looking for a skilled and accurate candidate with knowledge and experience in accounts payable functions, the recording of financial transactions, and assisting the Financial Controller with account reconciliation and analysis. This position reports directly to the Financial Controller.
● Strong people skills, work and communicate effectively, maintain complex financial records, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
● Strong knowledge of accounting practices and procedures. Nonprofit accounting knowledge preferred.
● Ability to work tactfully and effectively with other employees, vendors, volunteers, and follow both oral and written instructions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
● Manage Accounts Payable for parent and subsidiary organization. Responsibilities include:
○ Review/approve invoices entered by the Accounting Assistants.
○ Set up and maintain accurate vendor accounts, including W-9’s, 1099’s, credit applications, contracts, and
○ Select, print and mail checks.
○ Assist departments with expense general ledger coding, purchasing, and budget monitoring.
○ Initiate ACH/EFT payments.
● Manage Purchase Order process for parent & subsidiary organization, including training staff and reviewing and approving purchase orders.
● Responsible for entering month end journal entries
● Reconcile bank, liability, and encumbrance accounts monthly.
● Manage Museum issued credit cards to ensure proper use & documentation.
● Make deposits and reconcile revenue between financial and development software.
● Maintain organized and accurate files of backup documents for each transaction.
● Assist the Financial Controller with account reconciliation, financial audit preparation, and departmental budgets.
● Lead in purchasing/restocking of general office supplies.
● Copier/Printer troubleshooter and liaison with leasing company.
● Special Projects and other duties as assigned
Strong people skills; ability to recommend, initiate and implement best practice for financial services. Also to work and communicate effectively, maintain complex financial records, work under pressure and meet deadlines. Ability to work tactfully and effectively with other employees, vendors, volunteers, and follow both oral and written instructions. MS Office experience required: Sage/Nonprofit software experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance plus 3-5 years experience in accounting or field related to financial management.
Considerable knowledge of financial accounting practices, techniques, terminology, and the application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or the equivalent combination of training and experience required.
Being able to sit at a computer desk for a long period of time. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
Professional, business setting
To apply for this job please visit grpm.org.