Website African American Museum of Iowa
This part-time position (15-18 hours/week) reports to the Museum Educator to assist in the creation and implementation of high-quality, mission-centered programming for all ages. The Program & Outreach Coordinator is responsible for assisting with public program development and execution, maintaining collaborative relationships with other Museum departments on a variety of projects, some administrative duties, and some care of department materials. Some travel and evening/weekend work is required. This position pays $11-14/hour.
The Program & Outreach Coordinator helps educate communities of all ages and backgrounds across Iowa on the wealth of important historical and cultural information found at the African American Museum of Iowa. They ensure engaging visitor experiences at group presentations and guided tours as well as valuable patron experiences through the AAMI’s traveling resources. The learned outcomes from these experiences foster a stronger, more aware community and can lead to increased membership, volunteerism, and even financial support for the AAMI.
A two or four-year college degree in History and/or Education is preferred. Equivalent experience working in a formal or informal education setting will be considered. Previous knowledge of museum and education practices is preferred, but willingness to train in those fields is required. The ideal candidate should be a strong writer and presenter, is organized, self-directed, and creative. The candidate should have an enthusiastic and welcoming personality, a positive attitude, the ability to relate to all groups of people, and the ability to present historic content in an engaging manner. Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, Internet, etc.) and reliable transportation is required.
- Schedule and execute guided tours and field trips to the AAMI’s exhibits.
- Schedule, prepare, and execute educational group presentations and youth workshops.
- Accurately track tour and program attendance.
- Schedule traveling exhibit rentals and coordinate timely shipping and/or pick up and drop off.
- Schedule traveling trunk rentals and coordinate timely shipping and/or pick up and drop off.
- Accurately track traveling exhibit and traveling trunk usage statistics.
- Create meaningful lesson and unit plans on relevant, mission-centered content for all ages.
- Update existing lesson and unit plans to meet current educational standards.
- Create engaging guided tour scripts for various ages that meet current educational standards.
- Accurately create and track billing invoices.
- Utilize technology to meet the needs of modern classroom teachers and to increase the accessibility of AAMI resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. This position is open until filled. For more information about the Museum, visit our website at blackiowa.org. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com