University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota Duluth is seeking a new leader to provide strategic leadership in the professional administration and management of Glensheen. The director of Glensheen shall develop and implement long range and annual work plans; provide fiscal, business and facility operations management; direct the hiring, training, supervision, and motivation of staff, and student workers; demonstrate entrepreneurial initiatives in programming and business management; support fundraising efforts; oversee the site’s public relations, marketing, and outreach community development efforts.
Glensheen’s operating budget is more than $2 million dollars with 75 percent of revenues generated from tours. Glensheen employs 9 full-time and over 60 part-time staff (including student workers). The estate is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The director is responsible for managing the museum according to the recommended practices and the code of ethics of the American Alliance of Museums and to uphold Glensheen’s mission to “Celebrate Preservation”.
The successful applicant will be an inspirational, visionary, and creative leader with a deep appreciation and understanding for education, history, Duluth, and Northern Minnesota. This person is a problem-solver who is constantly curious and adapts well to change. They are business-minded with a playful twist. They are a relationship builder, good listener, strong communicator, and enthusiastic about sharing Glensheen’s vision locally, regionally, and beyond. Marketing and engaging an audience are core to who they are. They value service, are engaged with the community, and committed to ensuring Glensheen remains a celebrated community space.
Glensheen and UMD are committed to diversity and inclusion, striving to open our doors as widely as possible to be a welcoming environment in which to work, learn, visit, and collaborate.
Glensheen is owned by the University of Minnesota. Glensheen and the University of Minnesota Duluth are located in the picturesque city of Duluth, Minnesota. Duluth sits on the north shore of Lake Superior, with a population of approximately 85,000 people. Duluth is a major shipping port and regional health care and education center. The city offers a vibrant music, theater, and art scene; community events; plenty of green space; and readily accessible outdoor activities.
- Experience in management, including successful budget and personnel management, short- and long-range planning, and administrative operations.
- Demonstrated experience as the external face of an organization. Museum, attraction, tourism, or related experience preferred.
- Successful experience in building and implementing engaging marketing campaigns.
- Strong customer facing and relationship skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage complex budgets and multi-faceted projects and programs within a large institution.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in written, oral, and visual media to specialized audiences and the general public.
- Skills in human resources and personnel management related to hiring, training, coaching, and appraising performance.
- Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
- Knowledge of preservation, maintenance and security methods for historic structures, grounds, and cultural landscapes.
- Basic knowledge of curatorial practices as they apply to both two- and three-dimensional objects.
- An understanding of the methodology of museum education, audience assessment, and exhibit evaluation.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultures and history of northeast Minnesota and how it has historically impacted a broader scene nationally and internationally.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 or more years of related experience to include supervisory experience.
- Or a Master’s degree in a related field and 6 or more years of experience to include supervisory experience.
Salary: $63,359.12 – $75,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
How to Apply
1. Select the link below to access our careers site.
2. Sign In to access your account or if you are not an existing user select the New User link to create one.
3. Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
If you are not an existing user select the link below to create an account.
If you are a current employee of our organization please use the following link instead:
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position search for Job Opening 341424 and click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach the required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, and a Diversity Philosophy Statement (a brief personal statement – no more than one page – detailing the applicant’s affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity/inclusion philosophy).
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section. Required documents as stated in paragraph above include: Cover Letter, Resume, and a Diversity Philosophy Statement (a brief personal statement – no more than one page – detailing the applicant’s affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity/inclusion philosophy).
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact OHR Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for more information.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. Veterans and individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
***Smoking and chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.***
To apply for this job please visit hr.myu.umn.edu.