Website Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Assistant to the Collections Curator & Off-site Facilities Manager
Tri-Cities Historical Museum, 200 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven MI 49417
Classification: Part Time, 20 hours per week
Reports to: Collections Curator & Off-Site Facilities Manager
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Eligible for Benefits: No
Assists the Collection Curator and Off-site Facilities Manager with overseeing the museum’s artifact and archival collections which include items on display at the Akeley Museum, at several outreach locations throughout the Tri-Cities and at the Warehouse storage facility and Community Archives and Research Center.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in history, or museum studies or a related discipline, preferred. Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Good communication abilities including written, verbal and presentation skills. An emphasis will be placed on collaboration, communication and teamwork.
Duties and Responsibilities with time allocation percentage
Collections Management 80%
• Assess incoming donations and information for presentation, review and consideration to the Donations Review Committee.
• Produce primary accession records including deeds of gift, thank you letters, and donation forms for all artifacts and archival materials received into the museum’s collections.
• Assist in assigning and recording storage locations and administering proper packing, relocation, and storage of collections.
• Assist the Collections Curator and Off-site Facilities Manager in establishing annual priorities for the Collections Department, staff and volunteers.
• Assist in preparing and overseeing a plan for short, mid, and long term goals for collections development and update as necessary.
• Working with the Exhibits Curator and Museum Facilities Manager and the Collections Curator and Off-site Facilities Manager, review and make recommendations regarding which artifacts should be sent out for professional conservation.
• Assist in ensuring that the museum’s collections management policy is regularly updated and properly adhered to.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of an emergency preparedness plan for the Collections Department.
Public Research Requests 10%
• Ensure that primary documents in the museum’s collections are properly cared for, maintained, and accessible to researchers.
• Consult museum resources including Collective Access database for related archival, photographic and artifact materials.
• Coordinate with the patron for printing services.
Other Duties 10%
• Assist Exhibits Curator and Museum Facilities Manager and the Collections Curator and Off-site Facilities Manager in artifact selection and artifact handling and care during planning, preparation and/or dismantling of exhibits.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Collections Curator and Off-site Facilities Manager.
• Provide event support when possible i.e. ticket selling at concerts, kitchen support at openings, table and linens set up etc.
• Will be asked to write articles for the quarterly newsletter River Winds and Grand River Packet
• Contribute content to the museums social media accounts.
• Assist in training front desk staff on donations and collections procedures.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to demonstrate and effectively communicate a comprehensive understanding of the
Museum’s mission and value proposition as it relates to our current Strategic Plan.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication, with a proven ability to communicate effectively in public speaking and in interaction with key partners and professional affiliates.
• Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards.
• Outgoing and optimistic, with exceptional customer service skills and the ability to work with a
diverse public and a diverse workforce.
• Creative, collaborative, and strategic, with analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines,
including the ability to prioritize and organize work effectively.
• Must be a self-starter and be comfortable working independently.
• Knowledge of museum programs and practices.
• Demonstrated computer proficiency, including an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft
Suite and knowledge of Collective Access museum collections management database.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
Please send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Jared Yax, firstname.lastname@example.org by March 12, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com