Nashville's iconic art and history museum.
This employment opportunity is with the Metro Parks and Recreation department. The Museum Specialist 2 position is located at the Parthenon in Centennial Park and is responsible for assisting the Director of Museum Education and Curator with developing and implementing of programs related to the museum’s mission and to assist with museum activities as needed. Performs related duties as required.
Metro’s Parks and Recreation Department has something for everyone through its variety of strategically placed facilities and programs. Parks offers cultural arts and fitness classes, dog parks and nature programs and 16,000 acres of open space, including 121 parks and 19 greenways. Ice hockey, sports leagues, art galleries and much more are among the offerings. An active and fun place where there is always something going on, Parks might be just the place for you.
Must be able to work on weekends and some evenings.
- Facilitates educational programs across the museum and community.
- Maintains educational operations including supplies and education storage areas.
- Collaborates on interpretive planning such as program research and development.
- Reports accurate education programming records.
- Leads educational video content creation and editing.
- Creates resources and graphics that supports educational programs and align with museum mission and branding.
- Develops and support partnerships with community organizations and schools.
- Assists with gallery maintenance including exhibit cleaning, lighting, as well as placement of physical objects such as benches and kiosks.
- Assists with exhibition planning such as taking measurements and photographs of spaces and art/artifacts.
- Assists with physical exhibition installation including art handling and preparator assistance both on and off site.
- Assists curator and registrar with physical maintenance in exhibit prep and collection storage areas.
- Assists registrar with condition reports and cataloging of incoming art and artifacts in Past Perfect 5.
- Assists curator with object, exhibition and publications research and varied curatorial functions, including conducting and compiling object and image research as directed.
- Assists registrar with maintaining exhibition history database, physical exhibition files and other documented records.
Bachelor’s Degree in Museum Studies, History, Art, Classical Studies, Education, or a related field from an accredited college or university and two (2) years experience in a museum, gallery, educational, or related environment.
*Experience may be considered in lieu of some education*
Valid Driver License
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in art, history and diverse learning styles
- Experience as a public speaker, capable of speaking in front of large groups
- Experience working with technology and MS Office computer programs
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.