Website Saint Louis Art Museum
Associate Curator of European Art to 1800
Interested candidates should apply by clicking here.
Summary: Under the supervision of the curator and with a high degree of independence, the Associate Curator contributes to the oversight and care of the Museum’s collection. This includes working on acquisitions, collection research and cataloguing, researching and working with the department of conservation in caring for objects, developing and carrying out exhibitions and gallery displays, preparing publications, and other public-facing curatorial projects based on the Museum’s collection as well as topics that relate to fields within the department. Intra- and interdepartmental collaboration is essential. The Associate Curator participates in the cultivation and ongoing stewardship of donor relationships
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist with the stewardship of the collection, enhancing its quality through research and recommendation of acquisitions (purchases and gifts), and deaccessions.
· Research, interpret and provide information on the collection including outcomes such as cataloging and documenting of objects, publications, lectures, docent training (all in-person and/or remotely using digital tools).
· Develop and generate art exhibitions that vary widely in scale and scope
· Assist in continuous planning and execution of changes to the installation of the collection
· Collaborate with curatorial, learning & engagement, digital, and development colleagues to provide content, support, and programming as needed, in digital and in-person formats, for public, member, collector, and patron groups.
· Support and collaborate with conservators, installation crew, and registrars to assure proper storage, handling, restoration, preservation, and display of objects in the collection.
· Assist with and maintain individual, foundation, corporate, community partner, and other important cultivation efforts and, when appropriate, participate in solicitation and stewardship while following Museum guidelines and best practices.
Qualifications: Master’s degree required; PhD. preferred. At least 5 years museum curatorial experience required. Depth of expertise must include at least one of the following fields in European art: Ancient Mediterranean, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, or 18th century. Candidate must be adept in more than one of the listed fields. Candidate should be able to cover a wide range and be willing to work with the opportunities provided by an encyclopedic collection. Previous curatorial experience should include making acquisitions, overseeing installations, collection documentation, and exhibitions. Candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to advanced scholarship, evidenced by a record of research, publication, activity in professional organizations, and exhibitions. Proficiency in one or more foreign languages appropriate to field of scholarship required; fluency preferred. Familiarity with current legal and ethical topics in collection stewardship and in museology are essential. Candidate must be conscientious in the observation of deadlines and possess excellent communication skills.
Application Deadline: September 18, 2022
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, 3 letters of recommendation and a writing sample (dissertation chapter, article, etc.) for consideration.
COVID-19 Requirement: Must be fully vaccinated and boosted to qualify for on-site interview and/or offer of employment
Minimum of Range: $66,003/annually
Status: Regular full-time, Benefits eligible on first day of employment.
The Saint Louis Art Museum is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
The Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience, without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit us62e2.dayforcehcm.com.