Website Muskegon Museum of Art
The Muskegon Museum of Art (MMA) seeks a Director of Marketing. This is a full-time position with benefits that reports to the Executive Director.
The Muskegon Museum of Art (MMA) is a regional art museum located on the shores of Lake Michigan. The MMA opened in 1912 and today is a leader in community engagement with a renowned permanent collection featuring artists including Hopper, Curry, Sisley, Whistler, Catlett, Homer, Bonnard and many more. The MMA presents between 15-20 rotating exhibitions annually each surrounded with a variety of public programming and events.
The Director of Marketing provides leadership to advance the marketing efforts and strategy of the MMA. Responsible for museum external communications, public relations, marketing of exhibitions, programs and events, audience building, media relations, advertising and publication coordination and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Create, implement and oversee strategies and timelines for marketing, communications, advertising, media buying, and public relations that promote the MMA in general as well as individual exhibitions and programs (and Museum Store) utilizing a variety of marketing tools, including traditional media, digital media, and social media.
· Identify audiences for exhibitions and programs and the most effective means to reach them.
· Establish and maintain working relationships with local, regional, and national print and digital media vendors, keeping media contact lists up to date and current.
· Develop, manage and work within, in concert with the Executive Director, advertising, printing, and event marketing budgets.
· In concert with the Senior Curator, Curator of Education, and Executive Director, generate, edit, and distribute press releases and press kits for MMA programs and exhibitions.
· Direct other public relations tasks as needed.
· Analyze, research and report on the progress of marketing and communications plans monthly as well as research and survey audiences/markets supporting development.
· Represent the MMA professionally at public events.
· Work collaboratively as a member of the Museum’s senior management staff.
· Oversee the development and production, and arrange distribution of, print and digital publications, including brochures, newsletters, postcards, signage, direct mail pieces, news releases and media packets, digital communication, website, and advertising pieces, etc., using knowledge of technical requirements.
· Coordinate, edit and publish, in a timely manner, the Muskegon Museum of Art Journal and other publications, producing written copy when needed including but not limited to exhibition catalogs, brochures, gallery guides, invitations, flyers, and program materials.
· Content design and editing in collaboration with the Curator, Curator of Education, Assistant Director and Executive Director.
· Develop and coordinate digital and social media communication platforms for the MMA.
· Secure and evaluate bids from printers, designers, and photographers.
· Secure designers, photographers, and printers for Muskegon Museum of Art publications.
· Five years minimum experience as a marketing or communications director.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to work with a wide range of groups and individuals.
· Excellent proofreading and editing skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
· Ability to develop and implement an integrated marketing and communications plan.
· Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and priorities.
· Proven experience using best practices in marketing communications (including related technology), public relations, graphic design, digital marketing, and print.
· Must have experience with managing, maintaining, and updating an interactive organizational web site.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
· Must be suited for a fast-paced, high-energy work environment and have strong organizational skills, including a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
· Non-profit or museum marketing experience a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in communications and public relations, advertising, marketing, media communications, and publication production process required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/JOB PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
· Primarily office work, but some standing lifting (up to 30 pounds), walking, bending required.
· Regular local travel and occasional extended/overnight travel required.
· Variable work days and hours based on museum needs
SALARY: $48,000 – $52,000 annually
An application must include a cover letter, resume and three references and must be mailed OR emailed to:
Kirk Hallman, Executive Director
Muskegon Museum of Art
296 W. Webster Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49440
Deadline to apply: Tuesday, September 7, 2021
To apply for this job please visit muskegonartmuseum.org.