Website Mnnesota Historical Society
#farm #education #museum
JOB TITLE: #1594 Program Assistant
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Oliver H. Kelley Farm – 15788 Kelley Farm Road, Elk River, MN 55330
SALARY: $19.90 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position. This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a varied schedule of three – five consecutive days/week, including weekdays, weekends (Saturday/Sunday) and holidays. Primarily Thursdays through Sundays.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 05L Professional
HIRING MANAGER: Program Supervisor
POSTING DATE: May 6, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: May 27, 2022
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to engage, educate, and entertain visitors through interpretive
programming, to provide excellent customer service, to assist with interpretive program development,
and to assist in the daily operations of the Oliver Kelley Farm.
This position will develop educational and public programs, interpret 19th century farm life in costume,
and interpret 20th and 21st century agriculture. This position will engage diverse audiences in historic
and modern foodways, cultivating crops, gardening, care for livestock, and other related activities. The
position provides the opportunity to work primarily outdoors throughout the site.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Support daily operations and program delivery; 2) Assist in research,
development, and delivery of programming; 3) Participate in hiring and training interpretive staff,
volunteers, and interns; and 4) Perform administrative support tasks.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse public in an enthusiastic, friendly and open manner.
● Demonstrated ability to provide consistent, quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate with the public and be responsive to inquiries and comments.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse audience of varying cultural backgrounds, ages and abilities.
● Demonstrated ability to develop a working knowledge of site programs and educational content.
● Demonstrated ability in conducting research and synthesizing findings into coherent reports.
● Demonstrated exceptional verbal and written communication.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently to complete projects.
● Flexibility to adjust to schedule changes and assignments.
● Ability and flexibility to work a varied schedule of three – five consecutive days/week, including weekdays, weekends (Saturday/Sunday) and holidays. Primarily Thursdays through Sundays.
● Experience in developing educational content in a formal or informal educational environment.
● Experience working with children and/or adults in a formal or informal educational environment.
● Experience with Tessitura.
● Willingness to perform heavy manual tasks related to gardening, agriculture and horticulture in outdoor programming areas in all types of weather conditions.
● Interest in and experience with agriculture.
● Interest in and experience with vegetable gardening.
● Interest in and experience with farm animals such as hogs, cattle and sheep.
● Interest in natural history.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.