Website Missouri Historical Society
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
The Missouri Historical Society commits to a process of listening attentively to one another and leveraging best practices and resources across our organization to promote a culture of inclusion where individuals from all racial and ethnic identities; ages; nationalities; social and economic statuses; sexual orientations; gender identities/expressions; religious, political, and ideological perspectives; and abilities are able to be engaged, feel valued, and thrive. click here for the full Commitment to Racial Equity
Under the guidance of the Objects Conservator, the Conservation Technician will be responsible for a variety of tasks to assist with the preservation of the Missouri Historical Society’s (MHS) collections.
Compensation: 18.00-20.00 per hour
- Entering condition and treatment reports from contract conservators into the museum’s collections management system.
- Performing digital photography to document before and after treatment condition of artifacts.
- Constructing specialized storage housings for objects.
- Responsible for the safe handling and transportation of artifacts to and from the lab.
- Managing the conservation files (paper and digital).
- Performing IPM and environmental monitoring of storage and museum facilities
- Participating in the daily operations of the Conservation Department, such as preparing adhesives and chemical solutions.
- Performing minor conservation procedures.
- Maintaining supplies and equipment inventories.
- Maintaining workspaces in clean and functional order.
- Understanding and observing all lab safety protocols.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience handling art objects and working in a museum environment.
- Familiarity with conservation lab procedures.
- Knowledge of and commitment to current museum best practices.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Patience and attention to detail.
- Consistent, methodical work approach.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree (in art conservation, art history, chemistry, or related field preferred).
- Completed (or in progress) additional coursework in chemistry and studio arts, if not part of degree.
- Previous experience handling art objects and working in an art conservation laboratory preferred.
Deadline to Apply: Open until filled.
Please upload cover letter and resume when applying.
*External job boards: Please click this link, to apply.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Services Provided On A Non-Discriminatory Basis
To apply for this job please visit mohistory.aaimtrack.com.