Website Minnetrista Museums & Gardens
Position Title: Experience Designer
Reporting Division: Collections & Storytelling
Reporting Supervisor: President & CEO / VP Collections & Storytelling
Location: Main Building
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Organizational Function: Manager/Front Line Supervisor
Design and build experiences across the 40-acre campus, including museum space and historic homes. Manage the maintenance of technical elements used in delivering experiences including audio visual, lighting, and built environments. Lead the experience design team to align with the Minnetrista Philosophy of Visitor Experience and institutional interpretive plan.
- Experience in design, museum exhibits, technical theater or related field; 3-5 years in exhibit or technical theater production, installation, and project management. Museum experience and bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Show skill with leading a team through the design and build phase of a project.
- Use basic woodshop tools, theatrical lighting, and AV equipment.
- Experience in a fabrication shop.
- Possess strong multitasking, organizational, and project management skills; ability to work individually and collaboratively with a high degree of attention to detail and ability to communicate ideas effectively both verbally and visually.
- Proficient with technology including Microsoft Office suite. Able to learn new software as necessary. Skill with design software including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Google Sketchup is preferred.
- Experience in lighting design, graphic production, AV systems, live sound reinforcement, and photo/video production is preferred.
- Experience in and knowledge of handling museum collections is preferred.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. The incumbent ensures effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration, and volunteers. The individual demonstrates maturity, sound judgment, positive attitude, and works collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all position responsibilities include the following three performance expectations & priorities:
- Achieve the organization’s purpose by demonstrating Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals, and strategies daily.
- Help others achieve the organization’s purpose through collaboration and teamwork.
- Carry out job function through completing the following essential duties directly or through subordinate personnel.
- Lead the design experience across all 40 acres; direct, manage and evaluate experience design team.
- Collaborate with the associate director of curation and exhibition to translate exhibit storylines into creative and engaging designs that can be successfully implemented on time and on budget.
- Prepare and manage schedules and timelines for the build, installation and deinstallation of in-house exhibits and load in and load out of rental exhibits, in coordination with the associate director of curation and exhibition. Collaborate with volunteers and additional departments to provide appropriate staffing.
- Collaborate with the theatre and events manager to develop, design and implement technical plans for Signature Events.
- Work with the graphic designer to oversee design and production of exhibit labels and graphics.
- Develop and manage the budget for fabrication; collaborate with other departments in the development of project, event, and exhibit build budgets.
- Maintain a safe work environment for volunteers and staff including training and enforcement of all relevant OSHA safety standards; collaborate with the campus operations department and the associate director of operations.
- Produce and maintain audio and video components for theater space and exhibits.
- Maintain gallery and theater lighting in coordination with the collections management and campus operations departments.
- Perform all other duties required.
Work is both indoors and outdoors. Travel required between buildings in all weather conditions. Work schedule flexibility is critical; will need to work some evenings and weekends and be able to move about the entire Minnetrista 40-acre campus. Must be able to work in an office environment but primarily in various other spaces and storage areas. May involve standing on concrete floors for long periods of time, exposure to hazards and moderate-to-high noise levels. Must be able to climb, stretch, reach overhead, and lift up to 40 lbs. A valid driver’s license is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Minnetrista values diversity and inclusivity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary Range: $46,000 – $48,000
To apply for this job please visit www.minnetrista.net.