Website Minnetrista Museums & Gardens
Position Title: Experience Build Assistant
Reporting Division: Collections & Storytelling
Reporting Supervisor: Experience Designer
Location: Main Building
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Organizational Function: Front Line
Manage the physical production and implementation of experiences across Minnetrista’s 40-acre campus including museum exhibits and theater productions; oversee day-to-day operations in the woodshop and other production spaces including fabrication, tool and supply maintenance, organization, and training.
- Experience in museum exhibitions, theater production, art, or related field or equivalent professional experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 1-3 years’ fabrication and installation experience in museums, galleries, or cultural centers—including producing casework, set pieces, and relevant storytelling elements; installing build environments; and hanging and mounting artwork. Experience handling museum collections a plus.
- Proficient with industry standard software including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite. Able to learn new software or technology as necessary. Working knowledge of Sketchup or similar 3D design software is preferred.
- Possess strong multitasking and organizational skills; ability to work independently with a high degree of attention to detail; and ability to communicate ideas effectively—verbally, visually, and in writing.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience in lighting design, graphic production, AV systems, live sound reinforcement, and photo/video production is preferred.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. The incumbent ensures effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration, and volunteers. The individual demonstrates maturity, sound judgment, positive attitude, and works collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all position responsibilities include the following three performance expectations & priorities:
- Achieve the organization’s purpose by demonstrating Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals, and strategies daily.
- Help others achieve the organization’s purpose through collaboration and teamwork.
- Carry out job function through completing the following essential duties directly or through subordinate personnel.
- Fabricate indoor & outdoor exhibits, signature event materials and theater elements, as assigned, on time and to specifications.
- Install, deinstall and coordinate logistics of leased and assigned in-house exhibitions; plan for and recruit labor, as needed.
- Manage and maintain audio visual equipment for exhibits and touring productions; provide training for staff.
- Assist in configuring, maintenance & installation and design implementation of gallery lighting.
- Guide staff in the selection of tools, building materials, and design appropriate to the task.
- Purchase project supplies as needed in collaboration with experience designer and departmental budgets; maintain financial records and budgets for projects.
- Maintain woodshop, paint room, exhibit galleries, and other areas in scope of work.
- Maintain a safe work environment for volunteers and staff including enforcing the practice of all OSHA safety standards; train staff on safe use of these resources, as needed.
- Perform all other duties as required.
Work is both indoors and outdoors. Travel required between buildings in all weather conditions. Work schedule flexibility is critical; will need to work occasional evenings and weekends and be able to move about the entire Minnetrista 40-acre campus. Must be able to work in an office environment but primarily in various other spaces including fabrication shop, galleries, meeting rooms, and storage areas. May involve standing on concrete floors for long periods of time, exposure to woodshop safety hazards, and moderate-to-high noise levels. Must be able to climb, stretch, reach overhead, and lift up to 50 lbs. A valid driver’s license is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Minnetrista values diversity and inclusivity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary Range: $41,000 – $48,000
To apply for this job please visit www.minnetrista.net.