Website Minnesota Historical Society
#programming #historic sites #interpretive techniques #education
JOB TITLE: Program Facilitator II, Split Rock Lighthouse
LOCATION: Split Rock Lighthouse, 3713 Split Rock Lighthouse Road, Two Harbors MN 55616
COMPENSATION: $19.06 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 1,040 annual hours) position. Must be available to work a varied schedule, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays. Weekly hours may vary according to site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DESIGNATION: Bargaining Unit AFSCME Local 3173
POSTING DATE: January 24, 2024
DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to conduct various programs using a variety of interpretive and performance techniques, support admissions and the site store, assist in the daily operations of the site, mentor site staff, and provide high quality customer services to guests of the Split Rock Lighthouse.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Conduct various programs that service diverse audiences at the historic site; 2) Provide operational assistance with museum store sales and admissions sales; 3) Provide customer service to patrons of the historic site and its programs; 4) Assist in the daily operations of the historic site or museum program; 5) Study resources that build content knowledge and actively participate in training to enhance the delivery and quality of the site’s programs; and 6) Mentor staff members as they learn program content and delivery techniques.
● Ability to climb the 32-step spiral staircase in the lighthouse several times each day and to walk and work on feet for an eight-hour or a ten-hour day.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time and hike and carry a backpack a minimum of 4 miles (round-trip) for occasional tours.
● Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions.
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel, reach, push, and pull.
● Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
● Ability to work a varied schedule including weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
● Able to manage time properly and efficiently.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS IN:
● Basic accounting and math skills.
● Experience in or willingness to learn computer software programs as needed.
● Experience in or willingness to learn and work a variety of assignments, including but not limited to retail and admissions software, site orientation for guests, and interpretive techniques
● Collaborating effectively and contributing positively in a team environment.
● Applying a wide variety of interpretive techniques.
● Adapting program presentations and lessons to best suit the needs of visitors based on situations that arise including late arrivals, special visitor needs, teacher inquiries, and visitor inquiries.
● Communicating verbally, listening, and being responsive to questions and comments of guests.
● Providing consistent, high-quality customer service.
● Working independently while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Learning and working a variety of assignments, including but not limited to retail and admissions software, site orientation for guests, and interpretive techniques.
● Thinking imaginatively and problem solving.
● The North Shore and Lighthouse history.
● Minnesota history and the cultural diversity of the state.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Demonstrated success in conveying Split Rock Lighthouse program content and facilitating dialogue with guests through public history interpretive work.
● Experience working with K-12 audiences.
● Experience mentoring colleagues to advance their education and performance.
● Acting, storytelling or musical performance abilities that can be used in interpretive programs.
● Ability to conduct research; analyze content and synthesis information for reporting out.
● Some college coursework in history or a related field.
● Experience with site-specific related skills – baking on a wood burning cook stove, ability to understand and explain mechanical functions of lighthouse equipment, hauling firewood, mopping floors, cleaning, etc.
● Experience in Shopify and/or Tessiture software, or other retail or admissions software.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.