Website Minnesota Historical Society
Museum / Historical Sites / Non-profit / Maintenance
JOB TITLE: #1547 Maintenance Assistant
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Split Rock Lighthouse – 3713 Split Rock Lighthouse, Two Harbors, MN 55616
SALARY: $15.38 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 780 annual hours) position. Approximately 24-30 hours weekly with the majority of the hours worked from May 1 – October 31. Hours may vary according to seasonal site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Site Operations Supervisor
POSTING DATE: February 22, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to perform maintenance activities at Split Rock Lighthouse, ensuring that the historic site buildings, including visitor center, are maintained at a high level of quality and safety for the staff and visiting public..
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Maintain in a safe and attractive manner, the grounds and buildings of the historic site which will include, but is not limited to: landscaping, trash and debris removal, and janitorial work; and 2) Maintain in a safe working condition the equipment throughout the site, including resale fixtures and janitorial equipment.
● High school diploma or equivalent with demonstrated experience in facilities maintenance and repair.
● Considerable knowledge of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment, and the ability to perform a variety of cleaning and maintenance tasks.
● Demonstrated ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools, including scaffolding and rigging equipment.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing, by phone, and in person with team members, contractors, and vendors.
● Basic experience in mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and painting tasks.
● Demonstrated ability to repair and maintain building structures, furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
● Demonstrated ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools and grounds and building maintenance equipment.
● Working knowledge of grounds keeping and horticulture practices.
● Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to be self-motivated.
● Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
● Willingness to work occasionally 10 hour days
● Ability to use Microsoft Office and Google software and email.
● Ability to maintain electronic and written records and to complete assigned reports.
● Physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform a wide variety of job tasks.
● Ability and willingness to climb ladders and enter enclosed spaces.
● Ability to lift 75 pounds rarely, 50 pounds occasionally, and 30 pounds regularly.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time, to walk long distances regularly, and to perform exterior duties in all Minnesota climate extremes.
● Valid driver’s license.
● Awareness of the need to maintain buildings and grounds in such a way as to maintain historical integrity of site, while at the same time prolonging the life of the facility.
● Demonstrated ability to repair and maintain historic building structures, furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
● Experience in historic and modern methods and practices of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and painting tasks.
● Ability and motivation to study historical reference materials related to preservation of historic buildings and sites.
● Experience working at a museum, historic site, or comparable setting.
● Ability to negotiate service contracts, working with multiple facility contractors, remodeling, or restoration projects.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.