Website Minnesota Historical Society
Historic Sites and Museums
JOB TITLE: #1393 Sales Assistant I
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Split Rock Lighthouse, 3713 Split Rock Lighthouse, Two Harbors, MN, 55616
SALARY: $14.71 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 832 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous
vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Store Manager II
POSTING DATE: March 8, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career
center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to provide front line customer service to the clientele of Split Rock
Lighthouse Historic Site. This position meets and greets, provides information, sells admissions, cash
register, Point of Sale system, and credit card transactions, maintains/stocks front desk/store
area/brochure racks regularly and starts the timer and film in the theater.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Perform admissions duties; 2) Utilize product knowledge to assure profitable
sales and assist with inventory control; 3) Welcome, orient and receive visitors; 4) Process sales and
store merchandise; 5) Follow site safety procedures; and 6) Study historical materials related to the
site’s interpretive programs and history.
● At least six months of customer service experience.
● Experience stocking and displaying merchandise.
● Good verbal and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to be courteous when relating to the public.
● Ability to learn how to use a cash register and retail software.
● Basic accounting and math skills.
● Available to work a varied schedule weekdays and weekends, mid-May through October, winter
weekends may also be available.
● Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and be comfortable using a ladder.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Availability to work limited hours during the winter season.
● Strong customer service experience and skills.
● Specialty store sales and cashiering experience.
● Knowledge of Minnesota history.
● Knowledge of the history of Split Rock Lighthouse and North Shore area.
● Experience with a Point of Sale (POS) system.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.