Website Minnesota Historical Society
#interpretation #customer service #education#Museums #history
JOB TITLE: #1744 Site Guide II
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: James J. Hill House, 240 Summit Ave, St Paul, MN 55102
Alexander Ramsey House, 265 S Exchange St, St Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $16.69 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position. Approximately 40 hours per week. Scheduling is based on site hours of operation. Must be available to work a varied schedule, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites & Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 58L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Program Manager I
POSTING DATE: January 27, 2023
DEADLINE DATE: Extended to March 2, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists at the James J. Hill House and Alexander Ramsey House to engage, educate and entertain visitors and to present historical information to school groups and the general public using a variety of interpretive and performance techniques and to assist in the operation of the Hill House and Ramsey House sites by providing front line customer service, processing admissions, sales, welcoming, and receiving visitors.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Interpret accurately the history of the Hill House site and Ramsey House site, which includes the family, household, neighborhood, St. Paul and Minnesota from 1872-1921; 2) Entertain and educate visitors in the historical content by using a variety of interpretive techniques; 3) Perform admissions, gift shop sales, and reception services so all visitors are served, and accurately
perform related clerical tasks; 4) Learn and study site manual and program-related materials provided by site program staff while contributing and operating within the larger interpreter team as assigned; 5) Assist in the maintenance, organization and protection of the historic site, grounds, facility, and collections so that site is well maintained and secure; and 6) Perform limited cleaning and other duties as assigned in support of ongoing operations.
● High School diploma or equivalent.
● Knowledge of state and local Minnesota History and Victorian era.
● Strong oral communication skills.
● Demonstrated experience in museum interpretation and/or storytelling.
● Demonstrated experience working with children in an educational environment.
● Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities.
● Ability to work cooperatively with team members.
● Basic accounting and math skills.
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds; 50 pounds with a team lift.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time while giving tours and selling tickets or merchandise.
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel to move furniture or merchandise and perform light cleaning duties.
● Weekend availability (Work schedule is Wednesday through Sunday)
● Demonstrated experience in a high-level customer service environment; and/or special event environment.
● Ability to perform some manual tasks.
● College coursework in history, education, museum studies or related field.
● Knowledge of current digital engagement strategies in the museum field.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.