Website Minnesota Historical Society
LOCATION: James J. Hill House, 240 Summit Ave, St Paul, MN 55102
Alexander Ramsey House, 265 S Exchange St, St Paul, MN 55102. (This position will eventually share time between both locations)
SALARY: $16.64 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 1,040 annual hours) position. Approximately 20 hours per week.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites and Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 61L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Site Manager III, Ramsey and Hill House
POSTING DATE: March 18, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: April 2, 2021
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists at the Alexander Ramsey House/James J. Hill House to provide interpretation and daily operational support for James J. Hill interpretive programs; assist in the implementation of specialized events; and support the training of interpretive staff, interns and volunteers.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Serve as a lead worker for daily tour program operations; 2) Serve as lead worker for rental operations; and 3) Perform interpreter or visitor services duties as needed.
- High school diploma plus one year program experience or equivalent.
- Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
Experience giving work direction to others.
- Demonstrated experience in education, museum interpretation, theatrical performance, storytelling, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
- Basic accounting and math skills.
- Computer skills necessary to develop quality project and program documentation.
- Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds; 50 pounds with a team lift.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time while giving tours and selling tickets or merchandise.
- Ability to bend, crouch, kneel to move furniture or merchandise and perform light cleaning duties.
- Experience with Square register system.
- Experience with Tessitura.
- Experience with artifact handling.
- Ability to explain the Society’s public programs in marketing and promotional venues.
- Mastery of basic hand sewing skills for basic costume repair.
- Experience working with volunteers.Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com. At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.