Website Minnesota Historical Society
JOB TITLE: #1489 Digitization Technician, Archival
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102 SALARY: $18.53 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, project (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position through June 30, 2022.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Library & Archives
CLASSIFICATION: 63M Technical
HIRING MANAGER:Digital Newspapers Manager
POSTING DATE: September 13, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: September 27, 2021
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: The position exists to perform digitization to expand online access to the archival collections.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Digitize selected archival collections; 2) Process files and materials to provide access to digitized materials; and 3) Assist with administrative tasks related to digitization programs.
● High school degree or equivalent, plus two years digitization experience.
● Hands-on experience with digital imaging, scanners, related procedures/techniques, standards, and best practices.
● Demonstrated competency with spreadsheets, Adobe Acrobat Pro, as well as G Suite.
● Physical ability to regularly lift, maneuver, and carry storage containers weighing 40 pounds as well as oversize materials.
● Physical tolerance to dust and inactive mold spores.
● Ability to stand for a minimum of two hours at a time.
● Ability to sit, kneel, crouch, reach, bend, and to push loaded carts.
● Ability to use a keyboard and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills to establish positive relations with other staff and organizations.
● Flexibility and willingness to shift priorities according to current needs.
● Ability to meet challenging deadlines and work within complex workflows while carefully handling unique, old, and fragile materials.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately and to ask questions as appropriate.
● Experience with a variety of digitization equipment such as flat-bed, sheet-feed, camera based, large-format, overhead, and microfilm scanners.
● Experience with digitization software.
● Experience in digitization quality control procedures.
● Experience recording and tracking productivity and progress.
● Hands-on experience with calibration of scanning equipment to ensure capture of best images, including willingness to troubleshoot as necessary.
● Knowledge and understanding of sustainable processing practices and collection-level digitization strategies.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call MNHS Job Line at 651-259-3181.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.