Website Minnesota Historical Society
#museum #interpretation #history #customer service #education
JOB TITLE: #1829 Museum Guide, History Center Museum
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
COMPENSATION: $18.54 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 728 annual hours / 14 weekly hours – *1,248 annual hours / 24 weekly hours) position; Must be able to work a varied schedule of 2-5 shifts a week on Wednesday-Sundays including Thursday evenings and occasional special events during the evening.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals. *Some positions may be eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program, depending on the average number of annual hours worked.
DESIGNATION: Bargaining Unit AFSCME Local 3173
POSTING DATE: October 30, 2023
DEADLINE DATE: November 13, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
TRAINING: Required training for this position will take place on Monday, December 11th from 9:00am – 3:00pm;Tuesday December 12th from 9:00am – 3:00pm; Wednesday, December 13th from 9:00am – 3:00pm;Thursday, December 14th from 9:00am – 3:00pm; Friday, December 15th from 9:00am – 3:00pm; and Wednesday, December 20th from 9:00am – 3:00pm.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to conduct educational programs that serve diverse audiences at the Minnesota History Center and to provide customer service to guests of the History Center Museum and its programs. This position also assists in the daily operations of the museum program.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Conduct interpretive programs within museum exhibits; 2) Create a welcoming educational environment in the History Center exhibits by actively utilizing a variety of interpretive techniques and delivering excellent customer service, and supports ongoing museum operations such as maintenance, safety, and cleaning; 3) Conducts 0-3 Museum Lessons, Theater Programs (History Player(s), Game Show(s), Short Play(s)), Walking Tours and other specialized programs as assigned; 4) Study and master program and exhibit related historical materials.
● Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
● Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities.
● Demonstrated ability to learn and apply a wide variety of interpretive techniques.
● Demonstrated ability to listen to the public and be responsive to inquiries and comments.
● Demonstrated ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively to a team environment.
● Ability to maintain professionalism in demeanor and appearance.
● Must be able to work a varied schedule of weekday, weekend, and evening hours, which would average 14-24 hours per week.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time, while giving tours or conducting programs.
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel, reach, push, and pull.
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
● High School diploma or equivalent.
● Experience working with children in an educational environment.
● Experience in museum interpretation, theater, education, or storytelling.
● Knowledge of, or ability to learn about Minnesota history.
● College coursework in history, education, or related field.
● Demonstrated ability to solve problems independently in a dynamic and fluid work environment.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.