Website Minnesota Historical Society
JOB TITLE: #1719 Marketing & Publicity Manager
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $5,048.00 monthly minimum, commensurate with experience
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: MNHS Press
CLASSIFICATION: 18K Supervisory
HIRING MANAGER: Marketing & Publicity Manager
POSTING DATE: December 16, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: January 27, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to oversee and set the strategic direction of the MNHS Press’s marketing, sales, and publicity activity. The Marketing and Publicity Manager leads the MNHS Press Sales and Marketing team by setting goals, developing marketing and sales initiatives, overseeing publicity and promotional activities, and supervising the sales and marketing staff in order to drive the publicity and sales of MNHS Press books and products.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Develop and execute marketing strategies for MNHS Press; 2) Generate publicity for MNHS Press titles; 3) Plan and host book launches and author events; 4) Serve as the main point of contact leading up to and following each book’s release; 5) Assist with and advise on publishing decisions; 6) Manage the sales and marketing budget; 7) Oversee staff on other key marketing activities; and 8) Supervise sales and marketing staff.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
● Seven years of book publishing experience.
● Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of all areas of book marketing.
● Familiarity with media at the local and national levels.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and Google Suite.
● Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and external partners.
● Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise personnel, including: scheduling, hiring, strengthening positive workplace culture, and performance management to ensure success towards organizational goals.
● Strong organization and documentation skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Demonstrated positive customer service skills.
● Demonstrated ability to multitask, work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritize and adapt to changing priorities.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
● Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.
● Knowledge of current publishing industry practices and trends.
● Experience in a supervisory role.
● Experience with event planning and promotion.
● Experience developing and implementing innovative and forward-thinking marketing and promotional activities, especially in a digital landscape.
● Knowledge of social media tools and strategies.
● Facility with data and databases.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.