Website Minnesota Historical Society
JOB TITLE: #1653 Program Specialist, Volunteer Services
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102 S
ALARY: $4,223.00 monthly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources, Volunteers & Interns
CLASSIFICATION: 11L Professional
HIRING MANAGER: Volunteer & Intern Program Manager
POSTING DATE: July 29, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to lead the coordination, implementation, and sustainability of the Minnesota Historical Society’s volunteer program, with particular focus on implementing systems to engage volunteers from underrepresented communities. An important component of this position is to develop the capacity of the institution’s staff to effectively work with volunteers which includes planning, technical assistance, on-boarding, training, coaching and evaluation.
The MNHS volunteer program includes 2,400 volunteers and supports more than 140 staff members who supervise volunteers in up to 32 departments, sites and programs. Responsibilities include: screening, selection, placement, recruitment, training, recordkeeping, supervision, and recognition. This position has the responsibility for understanding the volunteer software program, serving as the lead on projects related to the software.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Oversee the MNHS volunteer program ensuring that the program meets MNHS organizational goals and objectives, expands the scope of volunteer opportunities and provides meaningful, engaging work for volunteers; 2) Perform program operational tasks to maintain an efficiently run program; 3) Lead the efforts to strengthen the volunteer system that meets the requirements to maintain certified status with the Points of Light Foundation’s Service Enterprise Initiative; 4) Function as the lead administrator for the volunteer software program, including system
updates, records and file maintenance, reporting and staff training; and 5) Provide project management leadership for the implementation of special projects.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
● Five years experience in volunteer management including experience in promoting, evaluating, and overseeing a skills-based volunteer program.
● Ability to lift 10 pounds.
● Ability and willingness to travel.
● Valid driver’s license.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS IN:
● Writing position descriptions, conducting screenings cross organizationally, and onboarding volunteers.
● Developing and delivering volunteer training, directing the work of volunteers, and resolving conflict within volunteer program areas.
● Microsoft Office software and Google suite.
● Communicating using technology platforms such as websites, blogs, emails, and newsletters.
● Making reports with VolunteerWorks, Volgistics or a similar volunteer database program.
● Making tables, mail lists and mail merges, sending documents and creating electronic recordkeeping systems.
● Working successfully with diverse groups of people in traditionally underrepresented communities.
● Thinking imaginatively and problem solving.
● Delivering positive customer service.
● Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
● Working independently and taking individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Detail orientation with the ability to synthesize and organize complex information and maintain/upgrade systems and processes.
● Building interpersonal relationships and communicating clearly and effectively.
● Working with a high degree of diplomacy and maintenance of confidentiality is required.
● Volunteer management best practices.
● Volunteer risk management policies and procedures.
● The basic principles of organization, public relations, and marketing of volunteer programs.
● MNHS programs and culture.
● Previous volunteer management experience within a museum, cultural organization or related setting.
● Strong knowledge of principles and practices of volunteer and personnel management as related to motivation, screening, recruitment, selection, placement, training, supervision and recognition, evaluation, and recordkeeping of staff and volunteers.
● Demonstrated experience working with staff members who supervise or work with volunteers.
● Experience with volunteer scheduling and working in environments that use a volunteer touch screen.
● Evidence of ongoing professional development and understanding of best practices in the field of volunteerism.
● Experience writing blog or social media posts and creating websites.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.