Website Minnesota Historical Society
JOB TITLE: #1451 Chief Communications and Marketing Officer
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $6,311.00 monthly minimum, commensurate with experience STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position. CLASSIFICATION: 18M Management
HIRING MANAGER: Director and Chief Executive Officer
POSTING DATE: June 17, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the
application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society seeks a Chief Communications and Marketing Officer to help address key issues of our day. Everything and everyone has a history that can help inform how we move forward together. Our individual and shared identity is wrapped up in our history, which makes understanding our collective past so important to our future. The ideal candidate is a collaborative and experienced communications professional who is accustomed to engaging a range of audiences and is invigorated by helping to shape the public conversation. As we like to say at MNHS, history matters!
This position exists to collaboratively lead and steward the Minnesota Historical Society’s messaging, brand and reputation as a trusted, relevant, vibrant and leading historical organization. Specifically, this person and their team will work across the institution to develop and implement integrated marketing communications strategies that raise audience awareness of MNHS and the role of history in society, expands engagement in and support of the MNHS mission, and deepens relationships between MNHS and its stakeholders. The Chief Communications and Marketing Officer will report to the Director & CEO and serve on the Minnesota Historical Society’s Leadership Team.
We offer a generous benefits package including medical, dental, life and disability insurance coverage through the State of Minnesota, medical/dental, dependent care and transit expense pre-tax benefit accounts, two employer-contribution retirement plan options, supplemental retirement savings plans and paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Founded in 1849 and headquartered in St. Paul, MNHS is the nation’s largest state historical society with an annual budget of approximately $50 million (61% from public funding, 26% earned revenue and 13% contributed income), more than 330 full-time employees and 2,200 volunteers. MNHS plays a key role in the state’s historic preservation, education and tourism activities, and provides the public with award-winning programs, exhibitions and events. Including its flagship facility, the Minnesota History
Center in St. Paul, MNHS preserves and manages a network of 26 historic sites. MNHS preserves and makes available a collection of a wide range of materials chronicling Minnesota’s history and culture, including about 250,000 objects and 500,000 printed works. In addition, MNHS operates a library and research center, and publishes award-winning books, and a quarterly magazine. A multi-million dollar grants program for local historical societies and other organizations, extensive educational programs, innovative exhibitions, and Minnesota’s National History Day are among its other major responsibilities.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Provide vision and collaborative leadership of MNHS’ integrated marketing communications strategies; 2) Develop communications strategies to manage and build the MNHS reputation in sensitive matters and crisis situations; 3) Provide operational and management oversight of MNHS communications, marketing, and sponsorship strategies; 4) Serve on the MNHS Leadership Team; 5) Lead the MNHS Marketing Committee in advancing and advising MNHS marketing strategies; and 6) Represent the MNHS to key constituent groups.
● Bachelor’s degree or above in communications, journalism, marketing or related field. ● Extensive executive-level integrated marketing communications experience in a corporation, marketing or public relations firm, cultural organization or another applicable setting. ● Demonstrated experience leading the following disciplines: integrated marketing communications, including use of social media, issues management, constituent relations, branding, and public relations.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule when needed, including evenings and weekends. ● Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel
DEMONSTRATED ABILITY TO:
● Lead complex, multiple-location communications and constituent relations programs, managing staffs, agencies and volunteers.
● Manage and supervise personnel, including: scheduling, hiring, strengthening positive workplace culture, and performance management to ensure success towards organizational goals. ● Implement sound budget and fiscal management practices.
● Provide customer service and interpersonal communications sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
● Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
● Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
● Work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Thorough knowledge of and the ability to manage the process of long- and short-range program and financial planning.
● Experience in managing large, multiple, complex projects through periods of growth, reduction, and change.
● Work successfully with diverse groups of people.
● Strong organization and documentation skills.
● Think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Communicate, both orally and written, including preparing and delivering reports and presentations.
● Create positive partnerships and relationships within an organization and with external partners. ● Gathering data, analyzing, and organizing information into action plans.
● Strong computer skills including intermediate or higher skill with Microsoft Office, and with all aspects of GOOGLE suite.
● Knowledge of MNHS programming and strategic priorities.
● Best practices and current trends in integrated marketing communications.
● Deep appreciation for history and a strong desire to use the power of history to transform lives and communities.
● Experience working in a non-profit environment.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.