Website Minnesota Historical Society
#volunteer #interns #history #museum
JOB TITLE: #1753 Program Assistant, Volunteer & Intern Programs
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $20.40 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources, Volunteers & Interns
CLASSIFICATION: 05L Professional
HIRING MANAGER: Volunteer & Intern Programs Manager
POSTING DATE: February 16, 2023
DEADLINE DATE: March 16, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to assist in the administration of the volunteer and intern programs at MNHS. The Program Assistant will focus on supporting a coordinated high school and college internship program across the MNHS organization as well as helping to develop volunteer opportunities for community members.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Provide professional support and assistance for developing positions, recruiting, and placing interns and volunteers throughout MNHS; 2) Assist in the administration of the programs; 3) Administer program orientations, seminars, and other opportunities; and 4) Work with colleagues to ensure proper procedures are carried out for regulatory compliance and consistency with MNHS policies and practices.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Two years working with volunteers, college or high school student groups, intern programs.
● Experience working with diverse communities that are traditionally underrepresented in public history professions.
● Knowledge of principles and practices of volunteer and personnel management as related to screening, recruitment, selection, placement, training, scheduling, supervision, evaluation and recordkeeping of staff and volunteers.
● Demonstrated ability to work with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities in an educational or customer service environment.
● Strong computer knowledge sufficient to operate Google applications and experience working with a variety of software programs.
● Strong computer skills including making tables, mail lists and performing mail merges, sending documents and setting-up and organizing files.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Demonstrated ability to multitask, work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritize and adapt to changing priorities.
● Ability to process payroll and compliance requirements.
● Demonstrated ability to learn new software independently.
● Experience working with social networking media, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, blogs, the web and drupal.
● Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Demonstrated positive customer service skills.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
● Experience planning, implementing and evaluating programs.
● Experience administering volunteer or intern programs.
● Experience working with payroll systems and I-9 compliance requirements.
● Experience placing volunteers and/or interns from diverse communities in successful placements.
● Ability to coach staff to resolve conflict within program areas.
● Experience conducting effective educational programs or training with high school and/or college students.
● Experience working within a museum or cultural organization.
● General understanding of the Minnesota Historical Society and its programs, and enthusiasm for its mission.
● Experience developing policies and procedures.
● Experience working with Volgistics or similar databases.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.