Website Minnesota Historical Society
Internships/Community Engagement/Volunteer management
JOB TITLE: Program Associate, Internship Program
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $3,816.00 monthly minimum, commensurate with experience
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources, Volunteers & Interns
CLASSIFICATION: 08L Professional
HIRING MANAGER: Volunteer and Intern Programs Manager
POSTING DATE: February 24, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: March 17, 2022
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to develop and administer a coordinated high school and college internship program across the MNHS organization, including historic sites and museums located throughout Minnesota. A special focus of the position is the recruitment of students from BIPOC communities that are traditionally underrepresented in public history professions.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Administer a centralized college and high school internship program including leading the recruitment, placement, training, recognition, and recordkeeping process, along with program development, promotion, evaluation and analysis; 2) Oversee intern orientation, seminars, trainings, work plan development and evaluation; 3) Work with MNHS staff to develop internship opportunities and provide staff with training, coaching and support to effectively work with interns; 4) Work with HR and Finance to ensure proper procedures are carried out for regulatory compliance and consistency with MNHS policies and practices; and 5) Work closely with the Department of Inclusion and Community Engagement to meet MNHS strategic priorities. Provide centralized administration and payroll processes for multiple programs.
● Bachelor’s degree plus three years experience leading volunteers, working with college or high school student groups, working with intern programs, or working with or in diverse communities.
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to write clearly and accurately.
● Strong computer knowledge sufficient to operate Google applications.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Ability to process payroll and compliance requirements.
● Demonstrated ability to learn new software independently.
● Experience working with social networking media, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, blogs, the web and drupal.
● Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Demonstrated positive customer service skills.
● Demonstrated ability to multitask, work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritize and adapt to changing priorities.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
● Master’s degree in museum studies, history, education, volunteer management or a related field.
● At least four years related program experience with high school or college students or working with staff that works with volunteers and/or interns.
● Experience planning, implementing and evaluating programs.
● Experience administering volunteer or intern program.
● Experience working with payroll systems and I-9 compliance requirements.
● Experience placing volunteers and/or interns from diverse communities in successful placements.
● Ability to foster cooperation among a variety of people when working toward an institutional goal.
● Ability to coach staff to resolve conflict within program areas.
● Experience conducting effective educational programs or training with high school and/or college students.
● Experience working within a museum or cultural organization.
● General understanding of the Minnesota Historical Society and its programs, and enthusiasm for its mission.
● Experience developing policies and procedures.
● Experience working with Volgistics or like database.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.