Website Minnesota Historical Society
JOB TITLE: #1723 Guest Services Supervisor
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $21.00 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position. Must be able to work a varied schedule that may include shifts on Wednesdays – Sundays, occasional Mondays and Tuesdays, holidays, and evenings.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites & Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 09K Supervisory
HIRING MANAGER: Guest Services & Retail Manager
POSTING DATE: December 21, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: January 4, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to provide direct supervision for assigned staff and to coordinate the daily guest services and store operations at the History Center.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Provide direct supervision to guest services and retail store staff; 2) Coordinate the daily frontline operations; 3) Assist with the store and retail program; 4) Hire and train staff; 5) Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings, and professional development opportunities; 6) Coordinate Volunteer Program; and 7) Participate in the annual and long-range planning.
● High School diploma or equivalent.
● Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise personnel, including: scheduling, hiring, strengthening positive workplace culture, and performance management to ensure success towards organizational goals.
● Two years experience in leading daily operations in a service environment.
● Strong human relations, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
● Ability to hire, train, coach, and supervise both paid and volunteer staff.
● Strong customer service background.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to work as part of a team.
● Strong organizational skills.
● Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve quickly and independently.
● Demonstrated ability to work with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities in a customer service environment.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel, reach, push, and pull.
● Ability to lift up to 25 pounds; occasionally up to 50 pounds with assistance.
● Ability to be physically active and mobile for up to 10-hours per day.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
● Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing, and adapting to changing priorities.
● Working independently and taking individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Developing and maintaining excellent relations with individuals and groups specific and not specific to the site’s history.
● Working effectively with limited supervision.
● Speaking in public, in order to present the layout of the site and to promote its programs and effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
● Mentoring colleagues on content and technique.
● Post-high school education or equivalent such as some coursework in history, education, or a related field.
● Understanding of safety, security and emergency procedures.
● Demonstrated comfort level in working with technology, such as Tessitura and Shopify, as may be related to museum operations, program delivery, and communications.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.