Website Minnesota Historical Society
Library, Historic Sites, Museums
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Historic Fort Snelling – 200 Tower Ave, St Paul, MN 55111
SALARY: $14.71 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, temporary (approximately 12 hours/week) position June 1, 2021 through
September 1, 2021.
BENEFITS: Vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Metro Sites & Operations
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Site Manager III, Historic Fort Snelling
POSTING DATE: April 16, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: April 30, 2021
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career
center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to provide custodial support for the structures and programs at
Historic Fort Snelling, assist with any event set-ups/take-downs, and monitor the site during open hours
for safety and security.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Perform general custodial and janitorial tasks at Historic Fort Snelling in
order to provide a safe and positive site experience for guests, staff, volunteers, and interns; 2) Set up
and take down equipment for events and programming; 3) Perform security functions; 4) Perform
reporting and institutional responsibilities; and 5) Maintain safe and good working conditions throughout
the historic site.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Ability to lift 75 pounds rarely, 50 pounds occasionally, and 30 pounds regularly.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time, to walk long distances regularly, and to perform exterior duties in all Minnesota climate extremes.
● Ability to bend, twist, reach, kneel, pull and push while performing custodian or event responsibilities.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule to cover open hours of Fridays and Saturdays.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS IN:
● Perform custodial and event set up/take down duties and activities.
● Take the initiative, work independently, be self-motivated, and to manage time wisely.
● Communicate effectively with other staff, volunteers and visitors.
● Properly use tools, equipment and chemicals necessary to perform the duties of the position and in accordance with required guidelines.
● Use Google software and email.
● Experience operating a commercial security and fire alarm systems
● Experience working at a museum, an historic site, or comparable setting.
● Knowledge and understanding of MNHS policies & procedures.
● Knowledge of standards in janitorial and custodial procedures, use of cleaning materials, and maintaining required checklists.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.