Website Minnesota Historical Society
#history #information technology #software
JOB TITLE: #1592 Software Developer
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $4,820.00 monthly minimum, commensurate with experience
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Digital Access & Creative Services
CLASSIFICATION: 03O IT Specialist
HIRING MANAGER: Digital Product Manager
POSTING DATE: April 28, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to contribute to the design, engineering, prototyping, programming, testing, implementation and support of in-house custom software development solutions used by a range of audiences including the general public, MNHS visitors, K-12 students, researchers, MNHS staff, and others.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Design and create custom software solutions; 2) Identify and define software requirements; 3) Provide in-house software support; and 4) Keep abreast of new technologies and best practices.
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, business or a related area.
● Five to seven years experience in software development using back-end and front-end software development technologies.
○ Design database schemas.
○ Architect applications and integrations between systems.
○ Basic understanding of Linux system administration and networking.
● Ability to lift 10 pounds.
● Must be willing and able to travel to MNHS sites within the state of Minnesota.
● Valid driver’s license.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS IN:
● Analytical and problem-solving, with the ability to logic-check and to see patterns and stories in information and data.
● Working with source code versioning tools such as Git.
● Performing data analytics and developing effective reporting processes.
● Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites and Forms; and Microsoft Excel.
● Thinking imaginatively and problem solving.
● Customer service and interpersonal communications skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
● Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
● Working independently and taking individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Working effectively in a multicultural setting and a deep commitment to supporting and promoting diversity.
● Working collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple organizational functions in diverse physical locations
● Learning new applications as required.
● How web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices.
● Relational database design and familiarity with SQL.
● Familiarity with DevOps concepts, basic networking, CI/CD, and using tools such as, Kubernetes, Docker, and Cloud platforming (GCP or AWS).
● Familiarity with architectural design (object oriented design patterns) of multi-system software applications and SQL database design.
● Development experience with Python, FastAPI, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, SQLAlchemy, Docker, TypeScript (with Redux).
● In-depth understanding of software engineering practices, application lifecycle management (ALM) processes, and the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
● Knowledge of accessibility testing procedures, processes, and tools.
● Experience with User Interaction/User Experience (UI/UX) design.
● Experience working with or knowledge of quality control and testing practices as they relate to technology and software development.
● Experience or certification in the Agile/Scrum methodology.
● Knowledge of a wide range of computer systems software and applications.
● Demonstrated experience interacting with and soliciting system requirements from colleagues.
● Knowledge of current technological developments and trends within the nonprofit domain.
● Experience providing functional direction to other technical support staff.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.