Website Minnesota Historical Society
#interpretation #museum #education #customer service
JOB TITLE: #1748 Site Guide I
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Historic Forestville, 21899 County 118 Rd, Preston, MN 55965
SALARY: $15.76 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 780 annual hours) position. Must be available to work a varied schedule, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays with the majority of those hours worked May through October. Hours may vary according to seasonal site needs. Seasonal site hours are Thursday-Sunday and Saturdays only after Labor Day.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Site Manager I, Historic Forestville
POSTING DATE: February 6, 2023
DEADLINE DATE: February 27, 2023
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to engage, educate and entertain visitors to the Minnesota Historical Society’s Historic Forestville Site.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Conduct interpretive programs for diverse audiences at the site using a variety of interpretive and teaching techniques.; 2) Receive, welcome, and orient visitors; 3) Study and master site-related historical material to enhance delivery of historic site interpretive programs; 4) Assist in retail museum gift shop operations; and 5) Assist in the maintenance and protection of the historic site grounds, facility and collections.
● Strong oral communication skills, ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated reliability and ability to provide consistent, quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse public in a friendly and open manner, while conveying information or teaching.
● Flexibility to adjust to schedule changes and assignments.
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds; occasionally up to 50 pounds with assistance in order to perform manual tasks related to gardening, cleaning, programming.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time and walk up to 5 miles a day in heat, cold, rain, and snow.
● Must be able to work a varied schedule, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays with the majority of those hours worked May through October.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● College course-work in history, education or a related field.
● Knowledge of Minnesota history and the ability to learn the Forestville and site-related history.
● Demonstrated ability to perform basic historical research.
● Demonstrated ability to operate electronic equipment such as cash registers and audio-visual equipment.
● Experience as a teacher or group leader working with children.
● Experience with acting, storytelling or musical performance abilities that can be used in interpretive programs.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.