Website Minnesota Historical Society
#conduct interpretive programs #teaching #historic sites #museum
JOB TITLE: Program Facilitator I, Mille Lacs Indian Museum & Trading Post
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Mille Lacs Indian Museum & Trading Post, 43411 Oodena Drive, Onamia, MN 56359
COMPENSATION: $18.00 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 520 annual hours) position. Must be available to work a varied schedule, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays. Weekly hours may vary according to site needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DESIGNATION: Bargaining Unit AFSCME Local 3173
POSTING DATE: May 18, 2023
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to conduct interpretive programs using a variety of interpretive techniques and to assist with the daily visitor services operations at the Mille Lacs Indian Museum and Trading Post, including ticketing, field trips, workshops and special events, as well as retail operations.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Assist in the daily visitor services operations; 2) Assist with the daily retail operations; 3) Assist with the site’s interpretive programs, workshops, seasonal demonstrations and special events; and 5) Assist in the daily operation of the historic site.
● Demonstrated experience and ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently.
● Demonstrated success in conveying program content and facilitating dialogue with guests.
● Experience in or willingness to learn computer software programs as needed.
● Strong oral communication skills, and ability to listen and be responsive to questions and comments.
● Demonstrated punctuality.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Willingness to learn and work a variety of assignments, including but not limited to retail and admissions software, site orientation for guests, and interpretive stations, depending upon supervisor assessment of skill set and knowledge.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse public in a friendly and open manner, while conveying information or teaching.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse audience of varying cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities.
● Demonstrated experience in some level of retail sales.
● Ability to complete record keeping and reports, including accounting and math skills.
● Ability to work a varied schedule of weekdays, weekends (both Saturday/Sunday) one to two weekends/month, holidays and occasional evenings on a rotating basis.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time and walk up to 5 miles a day inside or outside on the grounds..
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel, reach, push, and pull.
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Proven skill in delivering school age programs.
● Experience working with children and/or adults in an educational environment.
● Experience in teaching, museum interpretation, theater, storytelling or group leadership.
● Personal computer skills including Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
● Experience with Shopify and/or Tessitura or Artifax software.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.