A nonprofit educational and cultural museum
LOCATION: Mille Lacs Indian Museum, 43411 Oodena Drive, Onamia, MN 56359
SALARY: $14.71 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 312 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in a retirement program with employer contribution.
Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Program Supervisor
POSTING DATE: March 5, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career
center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to engage, educate and entertain visitors at the Mille Lacs Indian
Museum. An Interpreter I will present various programs that serve diverse audiences using a variety of
interpretive and performance techniques, provide customer service to patrons, and assist in the daily
operations of the museum program.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Conduct various programs that serve diverse historic site audiences; 2)
Provide customer service to patrons of the historic site and its programs; and 3) Assist in the daily
operations of the historic site.
● Strong customer service experience and skills.
● Strong oral communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to listen to the public and be responsive to inquiries and comments.
● Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages and abilities.
● Ability to master and apply a wide variety of interpretive techniques.
● Demonstrated ability to master program information and program activities.
● Demonstrated ability to speak in front of large groups.
● Basic accounting and math skills.
● Demonstrated ability to use or willingness to learn ticketing and cash register software.
● Demonstrated ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
● Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
● Ability to walk up to 3 miles a day.
● Flexibility to adjust to changes in schedule and assignments.
● Must be able to work a varied schedule of two – five days/week, including weekdays, weekends,
and holidays, with the bulk of those hours occurring from April through October.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Some coursework in history or a related field.
● Experience as a teacher or group leader working with children.
● Experience using Tessitura software.
● Extensive knowledge and experience in teaching, museum interpretation, theatrical performance
● Knowledge of American Indian arts and crafts.
● Knowledge of Minnesota history and the cultural diversity of the state.
● Knowledge of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.