Website Minnesota Historical Society
Historic Sites / Museums / Library
LOCATION: Forest History Center – 2609 County Road 76, Grand Rapids, MN 55744
SALARY: $15.57 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (approximately 1,040 annual hours) position. The site opens on June 2. The majority of hours worked from May – August. Limited hours during the remainder of the year, including some Saturdays.
Hours may vary according to seasonal sites needs.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 58L Service
HIRING MANAGER: Site Manager II, Forest History Center
POSTING DATE: April 23, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled. Applications received before May 14, 2021 will receive priority.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to facilitate store sales, maintain the store environment, sell admission and memberships, and greet visitors and inform them about the Forest History Center and MNHS.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Provide leadership in the daily retail operations so that the store is managed and run according to the Minnesota Historical Society’s policies and procedures.; 2) Sell merchandise and provide operational assistance in the store; 3) Provide customer service through admission sales, as well as provide visitor information both in person and on the telephone; and 4) Provide administrative support for the supervisory staff.
● Two years experience in retail merchandising and point of sale inventory systems.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse public in a positive and friendly manner, in person and over the phone.
● Demonstrated ability to provide consistent, high quality customer service.
● Strong oral communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to independently problem solve and respond to visitor concerns with patience, empathy, and grace.
● Demonstrated ability to pitch in and work collaboratively in a team environment.
● Basic math and accounting skills.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time on the sales floor.
● Ability to bend, crouch, kneel to move merchandise and perform light cleaning duties.
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
● Availability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, evenings, and holidays, as necessary.
● High School Diploma or equivalent
● Experience with financial reporting or accounting.
● Strong computer skills, including intermediate or higher level use of Microsoft Office.
● Ability to troubleshoot software, hardware, and point-of-sale issues.
● Knowledge of retail display and marketing techniques.
● Previous experience mentoring, coaching, training, and providing work direction for staff or volunteers.
● Knowledge of Minnesota Historical Society programs and services.
● Retail sales and admissions experience in a museum/historic site.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.