Website Minnesota Historical Society
#history #oxen #farm #agricultural #education #teaching
JOB TITLE: #1633 Draft Animal Handler
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Oliver H. Kelley Farm, 15788 Kelley Farm Road, Elk River, MN 55330
SALARY: $20.76 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DEPARTMENT: Greater Minnesota Sites
CLASSIFICATION: 67M Technical
HIRING MANAGER: Program Supervisor
POSTING DATE: June 24, 2022
DEADLINE DATE: July 22, 2022
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position provides daily care, training, and handling of the site’s oxen team(s) and draft horse team(s). This position is also responsible for delivering programming, in-person and digitally, related to draft animal use in historic and modern agricultural settings.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Provide daily care, training, and handling of the site’s draft horse and oxen teams; 2) Develop and execute maintenance schedules of historic and modern draft animal equipment; 3) Support ongoing development of site’s draft programming and animal care protocols; and 4) Provide for the safe and secure daily operation of the site.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Experience in large animal and equine care, overseeing their wellbeing and handling.
● Ability to work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
● Ability to multitask and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
● Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem solve.
● Ability to communicate both orally and written, including giving work direction, preparing and delivering reports.
● Demonstrated experience and ability to provide consistent high quality customer service.
● Physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform a wide variety of job tasks.
● Ability and willingness to climb ladders and enter enclosed spaces.
● Ability to lift 75 pounds rarely, 50 pounds occasionally, and 30 pounds regularly.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time, to walk long distances regularly, and to perform exterior duties in all Minnesota climate extremes.
● Ability, flexibility and willingness to work a varied schedule including weekends and holidays.
● Valid driver’s license.
● Experience conducting educational or engaging programming around animals.
● Demonstrated success in conveying a variety of program content using multiple techniques and facilitating dialogue with guests in an accessible manner.
● Ability to be able to hook, lead and drive a team of draft horses.
● Ability to adapt program presentations and lessons to best suit the needs of visitors based on situations that arise including late arrivals, special visitor needs, teacher inquiries, and visitor inquiries.
Should you have questions with the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mnhs.org.