Website McLean County Museum of History
The McLean County Museum of History is looking for a full-time Registrar / Assistant Curator to work with the Curator of Collections and Exhibits to manage the Museum’s material culture collections. Responsibilities include working with the curator to identify, evaluate, and prepare artifacts for possible deaccession; manage the transfer or sale of deaccessioned artifacts; assist in new-to-collection object selection; develop long-range collection and conservation plans; identify objects for exhibition; and dismantle temporary exhibits. The registrar will also manage all information regarding the Museum’s collection of 20,000+ artifacts within PastPerfect; clean, label, photograph, and store all objects following established, standardized techniques; conduct genealogical and historical research to properly date artifacts, and confirm and expand information related to each object and its owner’s history; produce deed of gift paperwork for donors and maintain necessary paperwork for all new-to-collection objects; monitor environmental conditions in collections spaces; supervise and train interns and volunteers working in the collections; conduct ongoing evaluation of collections; author new-to-collections article for Museum’s quarterly magazine; and other duties as assigned.
– BA in History, Museum Studies, or related field
– Minimum of 2 years verifiable experience in museum registration and administration or collections management
– Strong computer skills: expert facility with MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
– Experience with museum databases, preferably PastPerfect
– Knowledge of museum collections best practices
– Knowledge of historical research techniques and resources
– Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and to meet deadlines
– Experience with digital photography and Photoshop
– Ability to lift 40 lbs.
– Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team
– Ability to prioritize and manage multiple ongoing projects
– Meticulous work habits and attention to detail; consistency in procedures and quality of effort in all areas of work
– Professional demeanor when meeting with potential donors and museum stakeholders
– Ability to see the big picture in regard to all museum functions
The McLean County Museum of History, located in the former County Courthouse in historic Downtown Bloomington, IL, is one of America’s premier county historical museums. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (1984), the Museum’s mission is rooted in education and has a reputation for delivering high-quality, award-winning exhibits and programs to our growing, diverse community.
The Museum offers a competitive benefits package with a salary range of $34,000-46,000 depending on experience. Deadline for application is April 15, 2022. To apply email resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com