Website Grand Rapids Public Museum
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt – Part Time/Hrly $12.00
Hours: Weekdays, evenings, weekends, some holidays required
“We instill passionate curiosity and deeper understanding of the world around us.” That is our vision at Grand Rapids Public Museum. It permeates everything we do. At the Museum, you’ll help inspire that curiosity by enabling our teams to push the limits and create never-before-seen, one-of-a-kind experiences!
We are the oldest and second largest museum in the state of Michigan. Our gallery guard team is responsible for a safe and courteous environment while providing information for our guests. Our team takes delight in ensuring that the spirit of curiosity shines through for all our guests who come to enjoy our exhibits and events, enabling guest satisfaction and financial success.
● Remain in the assigned work area at all times during shift.
● Serve as the first response for safety and security of visitors, staff, and physical properties in the area.
● Observe behavior of visitors, staff and others in the area. When needed, take measures to correct inappropriate activities.
● Reports unusual or illegal activities to Security Officers immediately.
● Visually and audibly monitors and inspects exhibition areas for physical changes including wear, theft or vandalism.
● Reports missing artifacts or irregularities to the supervisor.
● Reports emergency, hazardous, or unsanitary conditions to Security Officers.
● Monitor and check doors to prevent access by the public to restricted areas.
● Becomes familiar with the location of emergency exits.
● Assists Security Officers in emergencies and as required.
● Strong people skills.
● Ability to learn about Museum programs, facilities, services, and exhibitions and to communicate
that information to visitors with a diverse range of needs and backgrounds.
● Ability to remain calm in a stressful situation.
Skills and Experience
● Two years experience working with the public, or an equivalent combination of training and
● Ability to work tactfully and effectively and follow both oral and written instructions.
● Familiarity with computers.
● Ability to communicate on a two-way radio.
Education: High School Diploma
Physical Demands: Ability to walk up and down stairs and be on your feet during your entire shift.
Work Environment: Professional, creative setting with friendly public interaction
To apply for this job please visit grpm.org.