Website Grand Rapids Public Museum
FLSA Status: Hourly
Hours: Part-Time – Some evenings, weekends & holidays required
Compensation: $14.00 / hour
The Grand Rapids Public Museum is the oldest and second largest museum in the state of Michigan. We are a place of never-ending learning and discovery, with programs and exhibits focusing on history, science, and culture. The employee culture of the GRPM is one of teamwork, excitement, and learning. As an integral part of the West Michigan community, the Museum is open daily to visitors, and hosts after-hours public events and programs, as well as private events and weddings. The entire GRPM team works to create positive visitor experiences through engaging exhibits and programs, and a safe, clean, welcoming space.
The Collections Technician ensures the tracking and safe handling of the Museum’s collections as they are used in exhibits, programs, events, and special projects. They must be able to safely handle a wide variety of objects including small and delicate pieces as well as using proper equipment to move large and heavy ones.
● Safely transporting collections objects within and between museum sites
● Cleaning, organization, and maintenance of museum objects, exhibitions, and storage areas
● Managing work rooms and archival supplies
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
● Safely and carefully transporting museum objects between storage, exhibition spaces, and classrooms at several facilities in Grand Rapids
● Explaining and demonstrating safe object handling practices to interns, volunteers, teachers, students, researchers, and members of the public
● Completing regular condition reports for museum objects
● Assist with ongoing object-level accessioning and collection inventory
● Prepare objects for research, loan, exhibition and program use
● Ensure proper storage environment for museum objects including re-housing and mount construction, pest management, and environmental monitoring.
Attention to detail and ability to multitask. Demonstrated ability to complete repetitive tasks. Communication skills to support and participate in interdepartmental projects and work with people from other professional organizations and the general public. Intermediate computer skills on cloud-based platforms including Google Apps, Base camp, and Collective Access.
Knowledge of basic museum conservation and registration practices, including artifact handling, packing, and storage methods.
Proven proficiency with tools as they relate to the assembly of storage systems, fabrication of support mounts for artifacts, special packing or shipping containers, etc. Familiarity with basic moving and handling equipment, such as two-wheelers, pallet jacks, etc. Must have a valid Michigan Driver’s License.
Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience and education. One year of museum or related experience required (two or more years desired).
Ability to lift, push or pull up to 50 pounds. Manual dexterity to operate equipment, climb ladders, reach objects in high places, move objects, operate hand and power tools, move, bend, twist and stoop in performance of job duties. Perform job duties on uneven working and walking surfaces.
Multi-site, controlled climate environment. Indoor and outdoor work and may have exposure to chemicals.
To apply for this job please visit grpm.org.