Website Grand Rapids Public Museum
FLSA Status: Salary – Exempt
Hours: 40hrs/week including some weekends, holidays and evenings required
Compensation: $40,000 annually
The Grand Rapids Public Museum is the oldest and one of the largest museums in the state of Michigan. We are a place of never-ending learning and discovery, with programs and exhibits focusing on history, science, and culture. The employee culture of the GRPM is one of teamwork, excitement, and learning. As an integral part of the West Michigan community, the Museum is open daily to visitors, and hosts after-hours public events and programs, as well as private events and weddings. The entire GRPM team works to create positive visitor experiences through engaging exhibits and programs, and a safe, clean, welcoming space.
The Retail Manager is responsible for leading within the Museum’s daily retail operations in the Curiosity Shop and online store. Responsible for the look and operation of the Curiosity Shop; aligning the store’s visual standards with the Museum’s brand, and sourcing and ordering products that speak to the Museum’s “Be Curious” brand and program offerings. Position oversees Customer Service Associates when they are working in the Shop, and coordinates scheduling, staffing and operations with the customer service team. Creates a welcoming environment for all Museum users. Ensuring that the Museum’s visitors have an enjoyable, safe, informative experience at the Museum. Retail Manager will lead & coach team members working in the store to foster a spirit of performance excellence. The Retail Manager will have the opportunity to use creativity to propose new and different ways to increase revenue and interest in the Museum’s retail options. This position reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations.
● Inventory Management
● Customer Service
● Leadership – Coaching – Mentorship
● Team Collaboration
● Fiscal Responsibility
● Interpersonal Relations
● Technology Driven
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
● A self-starter who enjoys making day-to-day retail operational decisions in line with visitors, team members and financial expectations.
● Able to foster, build and maintain relationships to best communicate and interface with guests, front-line team members, partners, vendors, leaders and peers in other lines of business as a point-of-contact for day-to-day operations.
● Empowered to inspire, recognize, monitor performance, coach and develop front-line team members.
● A trend spotter with an eye for what is new, fresh, and current in retail, while considering the Museum’s brand and exhibits.
● Maintain inventory by implementing purchasing plans and staying in contact with vendors and shippers.
● Organize all store operations and allocate responsibilities to personnel, supervise and guide staff towards maximum performance.
● Prepare and control the store’s budget aiming for responsible fiscal administration.
● Monitor stock levels and purchases and ensure they stay within budget.
● Manage the online store.
● Respond to customer complaints to maintain the Shop and Museum’s reputation.
● Inspect the areas in the store and resolve any issues that might arise.
● Plan and oversee in-store promotional events or displays.
● Analyze sales and revenue reports and make forecasts.
● Ensure the store fulfils all legal health and safety guidelines.
● Other duties as assigned.
Strong people skills. Work and communicate effectively, remain calm in stressful situations, be detail oriented, organized, computer and technology proficient. Must be dependable, punctual, and possess a strong work ethic. Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor; flexible and able to react quickly.
● Minimum 3-5 years of retail, customer service, or administration experience with a minimum of 1-2 years in a leadership role.
● Knowledge of museums, large attractions, or theme parks with a passion for delivering an outstanding service experience (preferred).
● Experience in merchandise sourcing, buying, visual merchandising, and inventory.
● Knowledge of point of sale systems and online retail.
● Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills.
● Manages time, projects, processes and resources to produce desired outcomes.
● Demonstrated strong written and organizational skills with attention to detail.
● Proven ability to function effectively in a team environment, as well as work independently.
● Demonstrated strong computer proficiency within a Windows environment.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
Must be mobile and have the ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
Professional, creative setting with friendly public interaction. Collaborates with all Museum Departments.
To apply for this job please visit grpm.org.