Website Grand Rapids Public Museum
Director of Marketing & Customer Strategy
FLSA: Full-time, exempt
Hours: Primarily a weekday schedule, with some early mornings, evenings & weekend work required
Wage: $68,000 / year
The Grand Rapids Public Museum is the oldest and one of the largest museums in the state of Michigan. We are a place of never-ending learning and discovery, with programs and exhibits focusing on history, science, and culture. The employee culture of the GRPM is one of teamwork, excitement, and learning. As an integral part of the West Michigan community, the Museum is open daily to visitors, and hosts after-hours public events and programs, as well as private events and weddings. The entire GRPM team works to create positive visitor experiences through engaging exhibits and programs, and a safe, clean, welcoming space.
The Director of Marketing & Customer Strategy position is responsible for assisting in the development of and leading the execution of marketing and communications for the Museum. Activities include brand message development, developing and implementing integrated marketing programs and directing the development of marketing for Museum programs, events and exhibits.
The position also oversees the Museum’s Customer Service and Retail areas to include management of staff and leadership over the Customer Service programs and activities. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages, implements and executes day to day marketing of the Grand Rapids Public Museum consistent with GRPM marketing plans and strategic plan.
- Leads all graphic design projects for the Museum for all departments including marketing; Interface with Museum’s graphic designer; Museum contact for all printers.
- Plan and oversee the production of advertising and promotions including print, online, video and direct mail; work with freelance contractors as needed.
- Establish and maintain a consistent brand message and image throughout all Museum communications.
- Manage public relations efforts including developing pitches and participating in media interviews on behalf of the organization in alignment with PR strategy.
- Proofread and edit Museum communications, letters and grants to ensure a consistent brand voice, correct spelling and grammar.
- Directly manages the Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Customer Service Manager and Retail Managers.
- Works with managers to ensure best visitor experience at the Museum consistent with the GRPM’s strategic plan, brand messaging and front line goals.
- Oversee and approve policies recommended by the managers within the department.
- Develop customer service budget; assist with marketing, membership and retail budgets.
- Negotiate and manage any contractual services related to marketing and customer service.
3-5 years experience in advertising, marketing, communications, and customer service or other related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Thorough understanding of branding principles, marketing, public relations and customer service.
- Ability to work on cross functional teams.
- Professional presentation with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, and an energetic and engaging personality with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines.
- Working knowledge of MS office systems, Google suite and social media, WordPress and Mailchimp.
- Proven ability to design, develop and implement both strategic programs and supporting tactics.
- Experience with supervision of staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business preferred with a minimum of 3-5 years related experience with progressive managerial responsibilities.
Professional, creative setting with friendly, public interaction
To apply for this job please visit www.grpm.org.