Website Floyd County Museum
Floyd County Historical Society
Position: Museum Director
Reports to: Museum Board of Directors
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week. Tuesday-Saturday. May include evenings and weekends to correspond with hours of operations and programs.
Salary: $40,000 commensurate with education and experience, plus health insurance supplement
Floyd County Historical Society and Museum, located in Charles City, Iowa, seeks a Museum Director who will conduct the general operation and administration of the Museum, focusing on its financial efforts, as well as oversee its collections, programs, and marketing.
The mission of the Floyd County Historical Society is to keep alive an active interest in Floyd County history by collecting, preserving, and interpreting materials relating to Floyd County.
The Floyd County Historical Society and Museum, operating as the Floyd County Museum, is a 501(c)3 non-profit. Organized in 1953, the Society is governed by a Board of Directors with daily museum operations carried out by two paid staff members. The Museum serves the immediate community of Floyd County and visitors to our area.
The Historical Society is the largest repository for Hart-Parr, Oliver, White, and Minneapolis-Moline farm equipment archives. As such, a significant amount of time is spent promoting, marketing, and reproducing manuals, tractor build sheets, blueprints, photographs, service bulletins, and on research of these archives.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Manage the Museum’s operations, including development, education, public programs, finances, exhibits, and collections.
· Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to progress the museum forward.
· Supervise staff, volunteers, and interns. Responsible for the hiring, training, and termination.
· Manage partnerships with professional organizations, other nonprofits, and foster opportunities for future collaborations.
· Act as museum liaison with Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage Area, Charles City Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee, Charles City Historic Preservation Commission, North Iowa Area Community College, and various farm equipment collectors associations.
· Foster a strong volunteer base and efficiently coordinate volunteer labor.
· Oversee public relations, marketing, and fundraising campaigns.
· Apply for grants to support museum operations, programs, and capital improvement projects.
· Engage with and cultivate relationships with major individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
· Ensure museum is following museum best practices and standards.
· Oversee promotion, marketing, and selling of Tractor Archival materials as well as collaborations with the many organizations that continue to promote and preserve the various farm equipment companies.
· Must be able to lift items weighing up to 25lbs regularly.
· Manage museum social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) and website (WordPress site hosted by Bluehost).
· Grant writing experience and knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector and ability to implement these strategies.
· Bachelors Degree in Non-profit Management, History, Museum studies or related field. Or equivalent experience.
· Not-for-Profit Accounting aptitude and solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
· An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience would be considered by the Search Committee.
· Demonstrated success in fundraising, grant writing, and crafting public and private partnerships; including the ability to communicate an organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community.
· Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff and volunteers.
· Experience in website, marketing, and social media management and a demonstrated ability to use social media and WordPress effectively.
· Knowledge of current copyright policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please place “Museum Director Job Opening” in the subject line.
Phone: 641-220-5918, Tony Lessin, Co-President, Board of Directors
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com