Website Ella Sharp Museum
Art and History Museum
Reports To: ESM Executive Director
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Location: 3225 Fourth St. Jackson, MI
Supervises: Volunteer/Membership Coordinator and the Marketing/Communications Coordinator
Salary range: $50,000-60,000 annually
The Director of Development and Communications is a senior-level position reporting to the Executive Director. The Director of Development and Communications is responsible for the museums comprehensive fundraising program including cultivating and soliciting annual, major, and principal gifts donors, corporate and foundation support, and sponsorships; strategy development; supervising marketing/communications, membership, and volunteer programs. Working closely with the ESM Director and Board. The Director of Development and Communications will identify funding opportunities and will develop strategic approaches for fundraising growth. The Director of Development and Communications fosters a culture of philanthropy through effectively communicating our purpose, elevating our profile, and raising resources to help meet our ambitious goals. The Director of Development and Communications is a member of the senior staff team that includes the Director of Learning and Engagement, Director of Facilities, and the Accounting & Business Office Manager.
Representative responsibilities of this office include:
- Develop and lead ESM’s fundraising activities including annual giving, major gifts programs, fundraising events, and campaigns, as well as create and refine cases for support.
- Lead and manage the conceptualization, design, planning, and implementation of strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and gift closure of individual and foundation major prospects in collaboration with the Fund Development Committee and Board.
- Build and manage a portfolio of individual and community prospects. Monitor progress against goals ensuring deadlines are met.
- Grows earned income by overseeing all membership, volunteers, marketing, grant writing and creates a grant calendar yearly or multi-year.
- Overseas donor records, data management and grant fulfillment.
- Assesses program effectiveness, develops improvement mechanisms.
- Manage and supervise a team of two professionals including Volunteer and Membership Coordinator, and Marketing/Communications Coordinator.
- Hire, manage, evaluate, develop, and terminate staff as needed and as assigned.
- Actively encourage staff members’ professional growth.
- Overseas the planning and execution of events, including the annual Art, Beer, and Wine fundraiser, and seasonal community festivals.
- Monitor and manage an annual development budget. Address budget variances as they occur.
- Prepare timely, accurate, and relevant proposals, presentations, and other fundraising materials for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Identify and secure community partners that will assist ESM in delivering the mission.
- Be an active member in the community representing ESM.
- Implement a coordinated sponsorship programming that aligns all of ESM offerings.
- A motivated and dynamic individual with relevant educational background
- Familiarity with CFRE accountability standards
- Five-years of management experience or any other combination of experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Planning and management of fund-raising in not-for-profit or arts/culture organizations desired
- Proven effectiveness in major gift solicitations and grant writing
- Collaborates well in a team environment with experience leading a team or managing staff
- Knowledge and experience with fundraising or CRM software, Giftworks experience desired
- Creative problem-solving skills
This position requires the ability to do one or more of the following throughout the day: sit, stand, and walk, to lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally; up close work in an office environment using a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee must be able to communicate verbally. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send resume and cover letter to Julie Johnson, Executive Director of the Ella Sharp Museum JulieJ@ellasharp.org or 3225 Fourth Street, Jackson, MI 49203
Application Deadline: December 30, 2021
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org