Website Ella Sharp Museum Association of Jackson
About this position
The Director of Development is a senior-level position reporting to the Executive Director. The Director of Development is responsible for the museums comprehensive fundraising program including cultivating and soliciting annual, major, and principal gifts donors, corporate and foundation support, and sponsorships; strategy development; supervising grant writer, membership/volunteer coordinator and ABW coordinator. Working closely with the ESM Director and Board, the Director of Development will identify funding opportunities and will develop strategic approaches for fundraising growth and obtain funding for the organization. The Director of Development fosters a culture of philanthropy through effectively communicating our purpose, elevating our profile, and raising resources to help meet our ambitious goals. The Director of Development is a member of the senior staff team that includes the Director of Education, Director of Operations, Director of Communications and Director of Finance.
Representative responsibilities of this office include:
Develop and lead ESM’s fundraising activities including annual giving, major gifts programs, fundraising events, Art Beer Wine Festival, and campaigns, as well as create and refine cases for support.
Lead and manage the conceptualization, design, planning, and implementation of strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and gift closure of individual and foundation major prospects in collaboration with the Board.
Build and manage a portfolio of individual and community prospects. Monitor progress against goals ensuring deadlines are met.
Grows earned income by overseeing all membership, volunteers, grant writing and creates a grant calendar yearly or multi-year.
Overseas donor records, data management and grant fulfillment.
Assesses program effectiveness, develops improvement mechanisms.
Manage and supervise a team of three professionals including Volunteer and Membership Coordinator, Grant Writer, and the Art Beer & Wine Coordinator.
Hire, manage, evaluate, develop, and terminate staff as needed and as assigned.
Actively encourage staff members’ professional growth.
Overseas the planning and execution of events, including the annual Art, Beer, and Wine fundraiser, and seasonal community festivals.
Monitor and manage an annual development budget. Address budget variances as they occur.
Prepare timely, accurate, and relevant proposals, presentations, and other fundraising materials for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
11. Identify and secure community partners that will assist ESM in delivering the mission.
13. Be an active member in the community representing ESM.
14. Implement a coordinated sponsorship programming that aligns all of ESM offerings.
● A motivated and dynamic individual with relevant educational background
● Familiarity with CFRE accountability standards
● Five-years of management experience or any other combination of experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
● Planning and management of fund-raising in not-for-profit or arts/culture organizations desired
● Proven effectiveness in major gift solicitations and grant writing
● Collaborates well in a team environment with experience leading a team or managing staff
● Knowledge and experience with fundraising or CRM software, Giftworks experience desired; QuickBooks a must.
● Creative problem-solving skills
This position requires the ability to do one or more of the following throughout the day: sit, stand, and walk, to lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally; up close work in an office environment using a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee must be able to communicate verbally. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send resume and cover letter to Julie Johnson, Executive Director of the Ella Sharp Museum JulieJ@ellasharp.org or 3225 Fourth Street, Jackson, MI 49203
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org