Marketing Manager – Chicago Cultural Alliance
Who We Are
The Chicago Cultural Alliance is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission to connect, promote, and support centers of cultural heritage for a more inclusive Chicago. We unite over 40 Chicago-area cultural heritage museums, centers, and historical societies that span 28 neighborhoods and 7 suburbs in the Chicago area and represent over 30 different cultures from around the world.
We are searching for someone to join our small team of passionate cultural advocates and administrative professionals. The Marketing Manager would join three full-time staff members, 1-2 part-time interns, work with our all-volunteer board of directors, and a wide network of volunteers. We pride ourselves on a supportive, flexible work environment advocating for diverse communities and voices.
The CCA is on a hybrid schedule with staff working in-person two days per week and remotely for three days per week. While only 2 days are required in-office, all employees are welcome to avail themselves of the office any day of the week. Our office is located at 600 W. Jackson Blvd, Ste. 100, Chicago, IL and is walking distance from bus stops, CTA trains, and the Metra station.
● Candidates must live in the Chicagoland area. The team meets in our Chicago office twice per week and all staff members are expected to attend annual in-person events.
● Must have strong English language communication skills – both spoken and written.
● Will be required to work on a computer, use Google Workspace apps (Google Docs / Sheets / Slides), Zoom, email, and messaging software.
● Must have an interest in diverse cultures and advocacy work. We strongly recommend that applicants review the Chicago Cultural Alliance mission statement before applying.
● Proficiency in use of Canva and Adobe Creative Cloud.
● Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
● Proficiency in use and functionality of Social Media applications (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, X/Twitter, and LinkedIn).
● Must have previous experience in any software or platform used for developing newsletters. Examples: Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Hubspot.
● Must have regular and reliable access to the Internet.
*NOTE: This role is intended for applicants with a serious long-term interest (3+ years).
● Research skills: successful applicants will be able to adapt to changing circumstances as needed, improvise solutions, and find creative ways to finish tasks in a timely manner.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Organized: successful applicants will be able to prioritize tasks, and be self-motivated.
● The ideal candidate will have previous experience working for a small nonprofit or in a startup environment with small teams.
● Experience working with databases (ex. Neon, Salesforce, Bloomerang, Raiser’s Edge).
● The ideal candidate will also have experience working with individuals from different cultures or have training in cultural studies. We encourage applicants to mention any experience traveling abroad, volunteering with cultural communities, any relevant lived experience, or selected coursework in cultural studies.
● The ideal candidate will have at least 1 year of professional experience. Equivalent experience in the form of volunteer work, part-time positions, or coursework will be considered.
The Marketing Manager will oversee all marketing responsibilities. The following task areas are representative but not comprehensive:
● Manage and produce marketing materials. This will include postcards, event flyers, sponsorship materials, event signs, etc.
● Lead on newsletter production. The CCA publishes two free e-newsletters which circulate every other week: Culture Around the City (CATC) and Memberwire.
● Research content for newsletters based on identified topic areas.
● Develop strategies for encouraging more subscriptions to CATC.
● Make basic updates to website content (WordPress). Training available if needed.
Social Media & Public Relations
● Develop and produce a content calendar and written & visual content for our social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter, and LinkedIn).
● Respond to messages and comments on social media accounts.
● Track and analyze engagement (social media and newsletter analytics) to refine content that connects with a growing audience.
● Write press releases as needed (~ 4 per year).
● Collaborate on developing media pitches as needed.
● This team member will be a representative voice of the CCA through these platforms. This role will help craft the voice of major public events like World Dumpling Fest, Journey Chicago, and the annual Activating Heritage conference.
● Develop strategies and ensure social media & relations guidelines are followed.
● All staff members attend major CCA-organized events: Annual Meeting (January), Activating Heritage conference (March), MOSAIC gala (summer), World Dumpling Fest (September), and Journey Chicago (October).
● Healthcare benefits (group plan with 50% employer match).
● Work from home three days per week.
● 7 paid holidays + paid winter break (Dec. 24th through January 1st).
● 16 days paid time off (accrued).
● Work in a West Loop office complete with free coffee/tea, community events, lounges, and walking distance from several restaurants and public transportation..
● Various professional development opportunities covered by employer (ex. Conference attendance, workshops, online workshops or courses).
● Satisfying work advocating for Chicago’s cultural communities.
● Regularly engaging with colleagues in Chicago’s arts and culture sector.
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000/yr + benefits
How to Apply
If interested, please send a cover letter and a CV/résumé to: Dr. Mónica Félix, Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “CCA Marketing Manager” as the subject. The cover letter should address any previous experience you have had working for a nonprofit organization, if applicable. The letter should also address what interests you about this position specifically. We ask that the cover letter does not exceed 2 pages in length using size 12 font. Only complete applications will be considered.
Step 1: Select applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute Zoom interview.
Step 2: Applicants may then be invited to create a sample social media post or a simple graphic to demonstrate their design and writing skills. This will be a small project.
Step 3: Applicants advancing to the next stage will be invited to an in-person interview with the Executive Director and support staff.
Step 4: Interviewer will contact applicant references, then make a job offer.
We will accept applications until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Chicago Cultural Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply for this job please visit www.chicagoculturalalliance.org.