Website Cable Natural History Museum
Mission To connect people to Northwoods nature through education
The Museum Director has full responsibility and authority for the management and coordination of the Museum’s operations, finances and the management of a staff of four FTE. The Museum Director works closely with the Museum’s Board of Directors and has broad decision-making authority in the area of the Museum’s plans and programs. The Museum Director should serve as an advocate and spokesperson to represent effectively the Museum and its possibilities to individuals as well as both public and private entities to generate enthusiasm and attract wide interest and support. This position does require some evening and weekend work.
1. Provide the organizational vision, personal leadership and long-range strategic planning for the Museum’s financial stability, growth and long-term development.
a. Formulate and implement overall marketing and communications programs designed to create a clear, consistent identity for the museum.
2. Be a positive and engaged leader of the CNHM team creating a transparent and collaborative culture that supports team members in their work and in their professional development.
a. Manage staff and delegate specific responsibilities and appropriate authority.
b. Coach team members and invest in their professional development to achieve success.
c. Maintain a high level of morale and provide direction to achieve the highest level of ethics and
d. Ensure that education programs and exhibits are integrated and consistent with the Museum’s
mission and goals.
e. Maintain and encourage open communication with staff, Board and volunteers.
3. Provide leadership to the operations of the Museum.
a. Prepare and administer the annual budget to ensure financial controls are in place.
b. Provide stewardship of the physical plant, ensuring facilities, grounds and collections of the Museum
are well maintained and safe.
4. Act as the key ambassador to connect with the region.
a. Cultivate and maintain enduring relations with current and potential funding sources.
b. Develop productive partnerships with other cultural institutions, agencies and organizations.
c. Stay current on new developments in the world of museums, natural history and the environment.
5. Lead strategic initiatives and management of all fund-raising efforts.
a. Create and coordinate programs to increase the organization’s support base among individuals,
grants, corporations, charitable foundations and additional sources.
b. Locate, identify, approach and solicit major donors for annual and capital gifts as well as write grants.
6. Partner with the Board of Directors to govern CNHM.
a. Ensure timely risk assessment to mitigate any risk to the organization.
b. Maintain informal and formal contact with Board members and serve as liaison between the Board
c. Maintain a high level of professionalism and ethics.
1. Minimum of 3 years in a leadership role, including managing a team, in a nonprofit or for-profit organization.
2. Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
3. Demonstrates successful experience in fundraising, program development, organizational growth, strategic planning, and working effectively with a Board of Directors.
4. Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
5. Has experience in budget planning, development and managing a budget
6. Has high ethical standards including integrity, transparency, accountability, respect, flexibility, responsibility, openness, and honesty.
7. Is committed to diversity and equity and treats all people with respect and dignity.
8. Is a skilled communicator and has the ability to communicate the mission and vision of the Museum.
9. Is a data-driven, research-based decision maker with a positive focus on what we can do as an organization.
Has experience living in NW Wisconsin and has already developed strong relationships and connections in the 5- county region.
The compensation range for this position is $55,000 to $65,000 annually and participation in the organization’s benefits plan.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com